By KornyKid - 21/02/2016 08:01 - United States - Citrus Heights

Today, I got a new cat for my birthday. It ate my bird right when we got home, then it ran away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 749
You deserved it 4 285

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why wasn't your bird in a cage of some sort? Haven't you heard of gentle acclimating a pet to a new environment? Seems like you fault

Comments

oh wow. Poor bird. I am wondering how the cat ate the bird?

How did it run away? A responsible pet owner would understand that cats need to be kept indoors for the first few weeks to adjust to their new home and then gradually exposed to its garden before being allowed out independently. And to bring a new cat into an environment where you already have a bird is unfair to the bird who will only get stressed having a predator around in his home. It seems to me that neither pet was fully considered here. I feel sorry for both of them.

MaiqTheLiar 11

M'aiq hopes you find your Khajiit-friend.

ChiefKoala 30

This is actually pretty golden.

KornyKid 20

Hello :) I do have to say there's a little more to the story. My bird was in a tall cage. When we got home, my brother actually opened it because he didn't know we had a cat. He flew down and in a sqwak and flurry of wings, the cat attacked him. I love my pets dearly and always take care of them.

zeffra13 31

Clearly you don't because you got a cat despite already having a bird. Accidents happen but this one was basically guaranteed. The cat could have opened the cage or hurt the bird through the cage depending on wire spacing. You have to take responsibility for the cat running away as well. Cat owners have to make sure everyone in the house knows to watch for the cat when opening doors, and they shouldn't be given full run of the house when you first bring them home anyway. Generally you keep them in one or two rooms until they're comfortable finding the litter box and then you introduce them to the rest of the house while under observation. I also have no idea how you can get a cat without all family members being aware. That's really irresponsible.

Schizomaniac 24

Oh, 37. Lighten the hell up. Clearly you don't love your animals either because if you did you wouldn't let that horse you're on smoke so much goddamn reefer. Mistakes happen. Perhaps OP could have handled the situation a bit better but because he/she wasn't more vigilant doesn't mean he/she doesn't love his/her pets (should have checked the sex before starting the comment, hehe). So based on your self-righteous rant I have to ask: how does it feel to go your entire life without making a mistake?

You do know a lot, I mean ALOT of people have cats and birds at the same time without anything happening. The fact that it happened to OP was just an accident. You don't know that much about responsible pet ownership if you think it's impossible to own a cat and a bird at the same time safely.

So...you never answered how the cat got out?

Still your fault, mate. You don't just bring a rando animal into the home without telling anyone. Birds are VERY stressed creatures. You shouldn't be adding any new animals into the home until you've had the bird for several years, especially adult ones. I feel bad for your brother and I feel bad for the bird. Hell I even feel bad for the cat. You? Not so much. You don't seem to have a lot of common sense or concern for your animals physically or emotionally.

My best friend has 2 cats and like 12 birds as well as 5 dogs and they all get along some how. The birds are usually in their cages but sometimes she lets them out and the cats and dogs can run about freely and no one tries to kill each other so I wouldn't say that getting a cat when you have bird is guaranteed a death. Animals can coexist just like humans. I'm sorry OP that your bird died and the cat ran away. Maybe it'll come back or be found.

mm12344 8

37- you need to read the FML again. OP got the cat for their birthday. OP didn't make the decision to get one AND OP didn't open the cage. Shut up now, k thanks.

But OP still left the cat alone without informing all members. If I were them, I would at least have left a note and had the cat in a room by itself so it could get used to it's surroundings. Or not go out at all. It was irresponsible.

I'm still not clear on how the cat ran away?

zeffra13 31

Even if you had gotten the chance to properly train the cat to not to hurt the bird, the bird would have been very stressed being around the cat anyway. All around bad idea. You should never have agreed to accept the cat.

kitsune309 15

Oh my God, you idiot. Don't let cats outside until they're comfortable with their new home. This is entirely your fault. YDI.

ChiefKoala 30

Assuming this was posted after OP commented on this, did you even bothering looking at their comment. Their brother let the bird from the cage because he didn't know OP bought a cat. REGARDLESS if you posted this before OR after OP commented on this post, how the flying **** do you even know that they let their cat outside? It could have ran out when OP or someone opened the door and made their escape. Since you like to assume things, I'm going to assume that you're ignorant and full of vapid hot air.

kitsune309 15

I didn't mention the bird because that part wasn't fully OP's fault. The cat having the opportunity to run away is. If you aren't going to do any research on pets you bring home and how to keep them safe, you shouldn't be getting pets.