By livin - 11/09/2009 06:10 - United States

Today, I found out that on Wednesday, when I have 2 exams, I'm called to testify in court. If I go to court, I cannot make the exams. If I take the exams, I'll be held in contempt and arrested. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 176
You deserved it 5 928

Same thing different taste

Top comments

call your instructors. they should let you take the exams another day due to your court appearence. if they won't talk to the dean. sucks that you have to go to court though.

Gesq1 0

This is simple. Show the subpoena to your professor. If you haven't been subpoenaed then you're not under a legal obligation to attend - unless you've been previously ordered by the judge to be there. Have one of the lawyers write a quick letter. There are things you can do here. Don't just wallow on FML.

Comments

capthavoc123 0

You realize that under almost every...no, strike that, EVERY educational code of conduct, being called to testify in court is an automatic excused absence, meaning that you can't be failed on an exam because you were required to be somewhere by the government. Although, if you're dumb enough to think that's not the case, perhaps missing the tests is going to amount to the same thing as taking them anyway.

Explain it to your teachers, i'm sure they can have you take it earlier or make them up.

How is this an FML? It's jury duty kid. The school will let u take the tests another day

xitsbananas 0

+1 on all the people who say talk to your professor/instructor... Missing Jury duty is a criminal offense, profs/instructors should understand that.

happyvalleygirl 0

it's not jury duty. The OP is testifying. R-E-A-D

Universitites usually allow test excemptions for court. Talk to your professors!

Wololo 0

Go to your professors and show them the summons. They have no reason to punish you academically for something that is beyond your control.

This is NOT an FML. This is, sucks to be you that day because now you have to go through the trouble of postponing the exams. Sorry but the summons comes first!

Not an FML, just a PITA situation. Show the summons to your professors and explain you HAVE to be in court that day. Most U.S. colleges will make allowances for that.