By newdad - 06/09/2010 23:21 - United States

Today, I found out that I'm a dad. My ex from 8 years ago contacted me through facebook. I'm happy I have a kid, but apparently she only contacted me because she wants me to start paying child support, now her boyfriend who provided for them left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 819
You deserved it 6 004

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ask for a dna-test. she seems crazy enough to make up the story to get some extra money.

Women like that are not making other single moms look good with the 'money hungry' stereotype that's growing these days....

Comments

#111 You have no idea what you're talking about. #112 is right, paying child support doesn't give a guy any legal rights to contact with his child.

boatkicker 4

112 and 116 There are two ways this woman can get child support from OP. The first is that she asks for it, and he just hands it over. If this is the case, he could just stop paying one day, and there's nothing she'd really be able to do about it, unless she took him to court, at which point OP could demand visitation. The second way would be to take him to court over it from the start, and OP would, again, be able to demand visitation. In order for OP not to get visitation after he demands it, the mother would have to "prove" that OP is an unfit parent. (Prove in quotations because I actually mean "convince the courts." Different custody judges have different standards)

Unless she lied and said she was on birth control, you deserved it. You were lucky that some other guy was willing to support YOUR child. Deadbeat dads are scum. It's not your fault you didn't know you had a kid, but now that you do know, you have to take responsibility and be a good father.

boatkicker 4

How was OP lucky? Because he missed out on 8 years of being a dad? Because he had to miss all sorts of important milestones in his child's life? Because he was lied to by his ex-girlfriend for 8 years? Because his ex-girlfriend is now trying to make him miss even more of his child's life? Where I'm standing, OP is pretty damn UNlucky. OP is happy that he has a kid. Generally, men who will be dead-beat dads aren't all that thrilled about their child.

nikalb3 0

joint custody that will fix her ass

you JUST found out your a dad? PLEASE!!!! you've known for 8 years!! you ran like a scared little boy with tears in his eyes to mommy and daddy.. tellin them you don't want to be a daddy at such a young age.. so you left this poor girl when she was 6 months pregnant.. she was scared too.. but she didn't run.. she raised this boy alone with no help from you!!! this so called boyfriend you speak of.. you need to make sure you get stories straight before you make up lies.. ya know.. you KNEW You had a son.. you never once, I mean not once did you attempt to see this child.. this boy has been asking for quite a few years where his father was.. he even cried quite a few times.. thinking that maybe his father had died.. you have been contacted quite a bit by this child's mother only too ignore her.. she took you for child support because the child wanted to meet you.. he just knew in his heart that once you met him.. you would just love him like any father loves a child.. so, you met him that day in court.. took pictures with him, drove him home from the court house.. tellin him you would start seeing each other maybe start being that father he needed so much in his life.. and than, just like when his mom was 6 months pregnant... you disappeared.. you LIED to him.. he is crushed.. he's 8.. and so confused, he doesn't understand why an adult would lie to a child.. your a chicken..your scum.. and you don't deserve to be this boys father.. go on with your life.. but always remember there is a boy who will live on to be anything he wants.. and from what I can tell.. he doesn't seem to want to be your son anymore.. loser.. you missed the first 8 years.. what's another 50, 60 or 70 years more..

Holy **** you're an ignorant idiot. People like you are the reason the internet should require an IQ test to log on, for ******* serious ¬.¬ Did you even consider that maybe he and his ex broke up before she knew she was pregnant at all? And the reason she didn't contact him is because up until now she has had someone providing for her children? Stop taking the mothers side. She sounds like a dumb money grabbing bitch and she probably is one. She's only contacted him because she wants/needs cash. From the way you're talking you're acting like you know this guy? And the mother? Which I highly doubt, so you seem like the one who needs to stop making shit up.

Anaxes 5

#127 - You're ******* retarded. Oh hey, a breakup, must be an awful father, let's spit out a maelstrom of bullshit because I can only look at any situation in one way because I was dropped on my head as a child.

let see.. I must have just grabbed all that info from outta the sky.. of course I know who they are.. and I'm not one sided.. I've always just said.. I definately understood the father taking off when she was 6 months pregnant.. hell.. I'd be scared too to find out I was gonna be a parent at 16.. but I was always hopeful that when he got older that he would have atleast want to meet him.. .. seems to me.. most of you are the one who are quick to judge.. not me..

tdawgheath 0

YDI for being happy you have a kid that you've never seen for 8 years. Seriously. That doesn't make you a father. If you took care of a kid that wasn't yours for 8 years, like her ex, that would make you a father.

boatkicker 4

OPs ex walked out on the child. That makes him NOT a father. A father wouldn't walk out.

ninjafrogz66 0

I wuldnt pay it, she's just a gold digger then. she should have asked you from the beginning, but since she didn't need you then, she shouldn't need you now