By newdad - 06/09/2010 23:21 - United States

Today, I found out that I'm a dad. My ex from 8 years ago contacted me through facebook. I'm happy I have a kid, but apparently she only contacted me because she wants me to start paying child support, now her boyfriend who provided for them left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 819
You deserved it 6 004

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ask for a dna-test. she seems crazy enough to make up the story to get some extra money.

Women like that are not making other single moms look good with the 'money hungry' stereotype that's growing these days....

Comments

If it really is your kid, then man up and start paying. Be thankful that you haven't had to pay for the previous eight years. Of course, don't do a damn thing until the paternity test results come in.

spartan_girl 0

I agree- if it is OP's kid, OP should be paying child support, and maybe even trying to spend time with the kid (assuming they live close together). But after 8 years, I would get a paternity test. Even if the timing works out right so that the mother could have been pregnant when they broke up, OP has no obligation to the kid if it isn't his.

boatkicker 4

The point of the FML isn't that OP has to pay child support. He's happy he has a child but the mother ONLY wants child support. She doesn't want OP in her life or the childs life, which is also why she didn't tell him about the kid in the first place. OP, if you're paying child support you can demand visitation unless you are somehow deemed unfit. I'd get on that.

#90 and #95 - I completely agree. That's definitely how it should work. I've seen a lot of guys who pay child support but don't get visitation though. Obviously if this is really OP's kid, he should seize the opportunity to be part of his son's life. The world is harsh enough already. The paternity test is definitely step one though.

perfect example of why every time a guy meets a girl, in the back of his mind he hears a resounding FML!!!

ya know, i thought about it. you didn't find out that you are a dad. you found out that some crazy wolf bitch thinks you are a dad. op, always think positively! :D |the kid|

becaribera 0
Erock5718 0

if youre just finding out 8 years later and she wants child support now theres a good chance you wont have to pay. if her other boyfriend has been supporting them for a long period of time the court will probably make him continue to pay even though its not his kid. its in the best interest of the child. i read about guys getting screwed that way, paying for a kid that wasnt theres bc their girl cheated on them or whatever.

66 no matter what happens if it is his kid he will have to pay. Been there.

afallingstar 22

I would definitely ask for a paternity test, and hope the kid wasn't yours because it seems like she's just after your money why else would she wait 8 years to tell you...FYL indeed

bouncer_detail 0

You need to counter-sue(?) for extreme emotional distress. Not only did she take years away from you and your child but now she just dropped a bomb on you like that is messed up. I do think you should help but you lost some important years because of her.

holy shit this sounds like something that happened to me about 2 years back. my douchebag ex fiance did this to me.

Your "douchebag ex fiance" had your child, and didn't even have the decency to tell you? Then intentionally prevented you from being a parent and forming a bond with your child? Then had the audacity to ask you for child support years later? I'm confused, because in your profile pic, you appear to have a ******.