By Sleepy - 04/07/2009 15:24 - United States

Today, I fell asleep while lifeguarding, thinking I could get away with it due to my sunglasses. When I woke up, I saw my boss waving at me. Apparently she'd been trying to get my attention for five minutes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 566
You deserved it 69 972

Same thing different taste

Comments

I hope you got fired and your license revoked. YDI.

first of all, YDI. second of all, i created an account just to say what a fukin jerk you were. and lastly, am i the only one that thinks it's creepy that so many lifeguards read and comment on FML? lol

and you're in charge of people's safety? fabulous...

U ******* idiot, I hope u got fired, how wud u like it if ur child or a family member drowned because the lifeguard fell asleep, I hate you, ppl like u make the rest of humanity look bad

Lifeguard: –noun 1. an expert swimmer employed, as at a beach or pool, to protect bathers from drowning or other accidents and dangers. –verb (used without object) 2. to work as a lifeguard. Origin: 1640–50; life + guard If you need the definitions of "LIFE" and "GUARD" too: life: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=life guard: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=guard I'm pretty sure you weren't doing it right.

haha im a lifeguard too, i know how it is. you shouldnt fall asleep intentionally but it happens. yesterday i worked an 11 hour day in 100 degree sun. you get tired. iv fallen asleep once but didnt get caught, it was only a min. and to all these people who say that you are an ass and someone could have died, its not that exciting of a job, lol. iv worked at my local pool for 3 years and none of the lifeguards have even had to do a save. in 3 years. so calm down lol.

It only takes once. It doesn't matter if no one has ever needed to be saved, that doesn't reduce the chances that it happens. It's an easy job until something goes wrong, then it becomes a matter of life and death (and thus, actually a hard job.) If you aren't going to take it seriously, go work at McDonald's. No one is depending on you to save their lives there.

Note that he didn't fall asleep by accident. He deliberately went to sleep because he thought that he wouldn't get caught. Accidentally falling asleep on the job is bad, but nowhere near as bad as doing it on purpose.

meddude 0

well Tyree obviously since you think that falling asleep and someone possibly dying isn't a problem, you don't deserve your job either. you seem like the lazy bitch sort that should get beaten to a bloody ******* pulp. please do us all a favor and jump off a tall building, you flaming stinking ******* piece of elephant shit. speaking of elephants, how's your mom?

beast92 2

agree with 58. I lifeguard at a pool where it is super hot and I have work everyday after a killer swim practice so I'm constantly tired. I mean I always make sure I'm awake if I'm the only one watching but if there are 3 other people watching the pool, then I won't try as hard to stay awake. But it's quite a boring job just watching kids. But then again I do sometimes get some amusement out of the things some people do.

I three times had to work a 5:30 AM to 9:30 PM shift, and that can tire you out. I've blinked out a couple times for about five seconds. Saved because I was wearing sunglasses. I blame it on sleep deprivation and told my old boss about it. She was cool and gave tips on how to manage better.

emmer132010 9

Wow, for all the people commenting on here about Lifeguarding being a boring job...just what are you thinking about while you guard? Ugh, don't get me wrong, I've guarded 12 hour shifts while running on no sleep and I've guarded in places where you're stuck in a chair, can't get down, and can't get a hold of your manager or head guard. But being tired is no excuse! It's nearly impossible sometime but lifeguarding requires your full attention on everyone in the pool at all times. It's not easy and those of you who think it is aren't doing it right. OP is an idiot who at the very least, deserves to be fired on the spot and blacklisted from nearby pools for purposely falling asleep. What an asshole. It may seem like a boring job but it should be taken just as seriously as any other medical profession. At least all the YDIs restore some faith.

Authoress 0

Wow, you deserve worse. People are counting on you. Get a job where people aren't depending on you to prevent you from not drowning. Way to think of others, asshole!

Maybe i did get a bit carried away. I was just SOOOOOOOO disgusted when i read the post.