By HousekeeperNoMore - 19/09/2009 21:04 - United States

Today, after being a stay-at-home mom and picking up after my kids for the past 15 years, I got a job rejection letter saying I wasn't qualified. It was a housekeeping position. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 625
You deserved it 4 544

Same thing different taste

Top comments

roxi27 0

unless you sent pics of your immaculate house, how the heck are they supposed to know you're "qualified." Living @ home does not guarantee instant martha stewart

Well no shit. Even if you're the best housekeeper ever, self-taught skills and abilities don't count for anything as soon as you want someone to pay you. You need credentials.

Comments

That's weak. SAHM's are more qualified for custodial work than most people. I know I spend half of my life cleaning vomit out of various things and cleaning the house. Hopefully the next gig you get to the interview round and can explain why you're exceptionally qualified.

Bullshit again. How about working moms? They do all the things that stay at home moms do and they hold real jobs.

shannon.elizabeth 13

when my mom was stay at home she did a shit poor job of keeping clean. you need real references if you want a job, i wouldnt let anyone in my house for cleaning just bc they stayed at home for 15 years

Just because you have done it for 15 years doesnt make you good at it.

deliapearl 0

being a SAHM doesn't make you qualified to be a chef either.

Sorry to say, but there's not much you can do. Regardless of what you do at home, your resume says that you have been unemployed for 15 years.

proudstub 0

one job rejection ? I can't remember how many rejections I got before I could eventually work as a packer, I have a college degree in IT. Hard economic times have been around for a while now and there are fewer jobs than before. You just need to send as many applications as possible, not only as a housekeeping position. I'm sure there are plenty of things you can do along with cleaning. One more thing, you've done a great job with your kids, it takes a great deal of courage and strength to dedicate oneself to one's chidren for 15 years, bringing them up is per se a full-time job.

Expertfail 0

You got rejected for one job? You know that that's, like, normal... right? Even if you have been keeping a house for 15 years, there are any number of reasons why this rejection could happen. Perhaps the other applicant had been keeping a house for 16 years?

Ydi for being a lazy hoe. You shoulda got a job years ago.

To all the people saying stuff like "just coz you picked up after your kids for 15 years doesn't make you a good housekeeper": well perhaps you're right, there's no standard. But a "qualified" housekeeper (WTF is a qualified housekeeper anyway??) has no standard either. But a parent of 15 years (unless they're some drop-kick parent who ignored their kids & house and spent all day at the pub or in front of the TV) sure as hell knows how to scrub a bathtub & toilet, clean windows, vaccuum the carpet, mop the floor, clean the stove & oven, wash the dishes, do the laundry & ironing, cook a meal, make beds, get crayon off the walls, clean puke out of the carpet... what the hell else do you need to be able to do to be a housekeeper? I remember my mum had a housekeeper come in for 2 or 3 hours a week for a year or two when I was in high school, the woman did NOTHING that my mother couldn't do, it's just that mum was so busy she didn't have time for it. She wasn't bad at her job or anything, it's just that my mum could have done anything she did.