By queerdragon - 26/02/2016 04:32 - United States - Redlands

Today, a friend located my stolen dog. It was sold to a family that has an autistic child. I was told by the police that I could have my dog back, but they think I am a terrible person if I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 563
You deserved it 1 754

queerdragon tells us more.

I did take my dog back. I have had Riot for three years, so he is a big part of my family. I have also started boarding him during the day or leaving him with a family member/friend. I am moving in a few weeks so hopefully, this won't be an issue that pops up again. Chip your dogs. It is a lifesaver. While I understand where the police officer was coming from (he has an autistic child) you don't sell a family member. Dogs have always been family to me. The kind of awkward part was the mother started crying, asking to buy Riot from me. She said he was so well behaved and they needed something to help their kid. She then kind of demanded I let her son come over to my house to play with Riot when he wanted to. I guess so she could tell her son that Riot was still his, but that he was just living with someone else. I told her no and said I didn't want to have contact with her again. She got mad. I don't think I left looking like a saint, but I am glad to have my dog back.

Top comments

So you should feel bad for having your stolen pet returned? Just because the kid's autistic? No, screw that. Take him back, he's yours.

whatarethisss 23

They can get a new dog. You've had this dog. You should get it back. If one their dog was sold to someone else they would definitely get it back. Dogs are family.

Comments

my child was kidnapped and was adopted by an autistic guy. I am a terrible person if I get him back. seems legit.

It's your dog! They shouldn't buy dogs from sketchy shelters (or whatever it was who sold it to them), so that's on them, they can pick another one. You should ask them how they'd feel if it happened to them.

Bluedy 17

Everyone'a thinking about the kid and the op but not about the dog. The dog has a master and he is used to and loves op. He doesn't know who that autistic kic is. So it would be better for the dog if you retrieved it.

quarterbird 18

**** their opinion. It's your dog. The thief is the terrible person... Not you for wanting YOUR dog back.

OP. You get on that metaphorical horse and get that literal dog back!

Cops are retarded not all of them but most of them get your dog back you idiot the kid is autistic you're missing your dog

DitaVonTeese 5

I had to create a profile just to comment on this. As the mother of an Autistic child, you go get your dog back! My son knows that life is disappointing. We should not keep our kids from knowing this. That being said, it is not your fault, nor your dog's fault, that someone stole him and sold him. That dog is yours. They should be ashamed for trying to make you feel bad!

It all depends how long they had it and how much attachments they have

no, it doesn't. that dog belongs with OP, the family can go adopt a new dog that is genuinely theirs.

So #77, if someone bought your dog and claimed that they were too attached to give it back, you would be completely fine in letting them keep it? I honestly doubt you would be fine with it

A dog is definitely family... The other family got ripped off... Help them buy a new puppy... And they will have their own... Lucky dog... So much love for it everywhere!!!

The OP should not have to help them buy a new puppy. Does it suck that they unknowingly bought a stolen dog? Absolutely. Is that in any way the OP's fault or responsibility? Not at all.