By queerdragon - 26/02/2016 04:32 - United States - Redlands

Today, a friend located my stolen dog. It was sold to a family that has an autistic child. I was told by the police that I could have my dog back, but they think I am a terrible person if I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 563
You deserved it 1 754

queerdragon tells us more.

I did take my dog back. I have had Riot for three years, so he is a big part of my family. I have also started boarding him during the day or leaving him with a family member/friend. I am moving in a few weeks so hopefully, this won't be an issue that pops up again. Chip your dogs. It is a lifesaver. While I understand where the police officer was coming from (he has an autistic child) you don't sell a family member. Dogs have always been family to me. The kind of awkward part was the mother started crying, asking to buy Riot from me. She said he was so well behaved and they needed something to help their kid. She then kind of demanded I let her son come over to my house to play with Riot when he wanted to. I guess so she could tell her son that Riot was still his, but that he was just living with someone else. I told her no and said I didn't want to have contact with her again. She got mad. I don't think I left looking like a saint, but I am glad to have my dog back.

Top comments

So you should feel bad for having your stolen pet returned? Just because the kid's autistic? No, screw that. Take him back, he's yours.

whatarethisss 23

They can get a new dog. You've had this dog. You should get it back. If one their dog was sold to someone else they would definitely get it back. Dogs are family.

Comments

If it was my dog id take it back, no way I'm letting them keep my pup

Man, I feel bad for the kid though. It's not OP's fault in any way but it's still hard for any kid to get attached to a pet then have to give them up, let alone one who's probably struggling with building relationships right now. Shame on the parents if they got the dog from an obviously shady place and set him up for heartbreak.

Even autistic children need to learn a lesson in fairness at some point in their lives

Wow, that is just so unfair for them to say that to you!

Maybe, if the kid is really attached to your dog, the kid can come over for playdates with the dog and you can make a new friend :) it's very rewarding to interact with and learn about people with Austism!

OP already said to the mother that the child isn't allowed to come see the dog. She told the mother to never contact her again

askullnamedbilly 33

It may be rewarding to volunteer or work professionally at a place for people with Autism when you can go home at the end of the day and live your own life. It's very different to have someone come to your home and invade your life. Also, I highly doubt that even a neurotypical kid would react well to having to leave the house after visiting without taking the dog back home with them. A kid with autism who might not even be able to understand his parent's explanations would probably throw an even more spectacular temper tantrum than a 'normal' kid, and that'd be incredibly uncomfortable for OP.

I admire people who have a heart for service. However, I am not really one of those people. I am more than happy to give a few hours on a weekend to a homeless shelter and I work with kids. But special needs (down syndrome and severe autism) are overwhelming for me. I don't really want to befriend children.

Every single one of your comments are freaking great lol so tactful, yet at the same time funny as hell! I agree with all of them. keep being awesome, OP.

Just because the kid has AUTISM** doesn't automatically allow rights to be selfish. Clearly the ordeal was upsetting for the OP and they are not obligated to agree to any arrangement. It would be a good opportunity for the mother to teach the child about sharing in that OP shared her dog with them for a short time and now that time has ended and about friendships, how they are not always forever. Maybe later on when the emotions calm down, OP might go for a visit. But if they dont want to thats up to them. People with Autism should never be exempt from learning tough lessons. My sister is Autistic and I'd be horrified if she acted like the world revolved around her.

Ahh, the lovely FML community coming together to defend a lady and her dog

Urpoppy 21

Too bad for them. There are so many dogs that need homes. Your dog just needs you.

I've been through this I was sold a stolen dog and I couldn't justify keeping her so even though my daughter was sad and wanted to keep her she was never ours to keep.

Quiet_one 22

You're a good person for giving their dog back. :)

136, out of curiosity, who/where did you get the dog from?