By queerdragon - 26/02/2016 04:32 - United States - Redlands

Today, a friend located my stolen dog. It was sold to a family that has an autistic child. I was told by the police that I could have my dog back, but they think I am a terrible person if I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 563
You deserved it 1 754

queerdragon tells us more.

I did take my dog back. I have had Riot for three years, so he is a big part of my family. I have also started boarding him during the day or leaving him with a family member/friend. I am moving in a few weeks so hopefully, this won't be an issue that pops up again. Chip your dogs. It is a lifesaver. While I understand where the police officer was coming from (he has an autistic child) you don't sell a family member. Dogs have always been family to me. The kind of awkward part was the mother started crying, asking to buy Riot from me. She said he was so well behaved and they needed something to help their kid. She then kind of demanded I let her son come over to my house to play with Riot when he wanted to. I guess so she could tell her son that Riot was still his, but that he was just living with someone else. I told her no and said I didn't want to have contact with her again. She got mad. I don't think I left looking like a saint, but I am glad to have my dog back.

Top comments

So you should feel bad for having your stolen pet returned? Just because the kid's autistic? No, screw that. Take him back, he's yours.

whatarethisss 23

They can get a new dog. You've had this dog. You should get it back. If one their dog was sold to someone else they would definitely get it back. Dogs are family.

Comments

Ever seen John Wick? Haha for real though that's YOUR dog, they can always get a new one

Just take it back. It should make no difference wether the kid is autistic or not.

The kid can get a different dog. That's your dog and you shouldn't feel bad about it at all. I feel bad for the kid but this isn't your problem. His parents bought a stolen dog.

Take him back, a mental issue shouldn't be an excuse.

That's really sad, OP. Get your dog back, though. I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if that happened to me.

Get your dog back. The type of dog they should get is a service dog that is trained to stay with and assist someone with disabilities. My dog is family and quite honestly nothing would keep me from getting her back even if it meant making an entire town or city think badly of me. She's been my best friend for 12 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Uh not all children with autism need service dogs. He could be mildly autistic. My sisters are autistic, but they don't need service dogs or emotional support dogs.

True, I made an assumption based on the fact that he was being guilt tripped that it was at the very least noticeable autism. Some people have autism and yet function like anyone else, others function better than most people within certain areas, and some have trouble functioning. There are many levels of autism. I was just thinking that if it is the type that is clearly noticeable or that the parents would have mentioned while talking to police as a reason for them to keep the dog that they might be better served with a service dog that would be able to help them better look after their child and ease their minds.

Service dogs are really bad companion dogs because you are not allowed to cuddle them or give them treats. For an severe autistic kid, the dog would be more of a companion dog then a service dog because you you need adult supervision anyway.

Railroader 16

I don't know about the OP but to me all my animals are my family. I would take my pet back regardless of other people's thoughts. The family can always get another one and hopefully it won't be another stolen one.

Get your dog back!! Just because their son is autistic, it doesn't mean everyone else in the world needs to tolerate him...

Yes it does, because tolerating other people is the entire point of civilization, but it doesn't mean OP has to give up their dog.

Nope. Dog is family, you lost a family member. The only terrible people are the family if they don't understand. They can get another dog and their son will get over it, you on the other hand will not get over it and it will be a hole in your heart until you do. Go get your dog back.