By queerdragon - 26/02/2016 04:32 - United States - Redlands

Today, a friend located my stolen dog. It was sold to a family that has an autistic child. I was told by the police that I could have my dog back, but they think I am a terrible person if I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 563
You deserved it 1 754

queerdragon tells us more.

I did take my dog back. I have had Riot for three years, so he is a big part of my family. I have also started boarding him during the day or leaving him with a family member/friend. I am moving in a few weeks so hopefully, this won't be an issue that pops up again. Chip your dogs. It is a lifesaver. While I understand where the police officer was coming from (he has an autistic child) you don't sell a family member. Dogs have always been family to me. The kind of awkward part was the mother started crying, asking to buy Riot from me. She said he was so well behaved and they needed something to help their kid. She then kind of demanded I let her son come over to my house to play with Riot when he wanted to. I guess so she could tell her son that Riot was still his, but that he was just living with someone else. I told her no and said I didn't want to have contact with her again. She got mad. I don't think I left looking like a saint, but I am glad to have my dog back.

Top comments

So you should feel bad for having your stolen pet returned? Just because the kid's autistic? No, screw that. Take him back, he's yours.

whatarethisss 23

They can get a new dog. You've had this dog. You should get it back. If one their dog was sold to someone else they would definitely get it back. Dogs are family.

Comments

**** that, take your dog back. You know you should, it's your dog! Dog's probably confused af wondering where the hell his/her best friend is.

Please go get your dog back and ignore the cops statement. I am autistic and I would feel bad if I found out my new dog had an owner who was devastated that they lost their best friend.

As much as it's awful for the family, it's your dog, it's not your fault! And honestly this is why people should consider going to a rescue, or at least being careful that the person selling the dog is the current owner. Probably bought of a classifieds, met somewhere neutral and handed money over. Hardly a smart move.

It's your damn dog, who cares? That family didn't pay all it's vet bills, that family didn't feed it and care for it and love it for years. Who cares if they have an autistic child? That's your dog.

katina1236 20

It's your dog no one else's. As bad as it sounds take your dog back. Screw what the police say. You could always take it back and let the kid visit. But it's your dog. If someone stole mine and I found out where he was, you can bet I will take every channel possible to get my dog back. If the new owners are decent people and you explain that your dog was stolen they should give it back. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you OP

It's a good lesson for children to learn about property. Definitely take your dog back

Dogs are not property you monster. If they are property, so are children.

61, chill out. She meant that it was someone else's and it's not ok to take/steal what is someone else's. So going off the way she's explaining it, then yes, we would say that children are property as well in the sense that they belong to someone else and they're not mine to have.

Legally, in the US, dogs ARE property. It enables people to reclaim stolen property in cases like this. Do I agree that they should be labelled property? Yes and no. No, because they are living breathing things and not inanimate objects like a couch or a tv and deserve more consideration than such things. Yes, because I bought my dogs and I own my dogs. I have a bill of sale and everything. I my property (the dogs) are stolen, I can reclaim them without some nutbar trying to take their "feelings" into account and giving a dog human emotions. If dogs weren't considered property, I can see just how easily this situation would have turned into a huge mess. People would be claiming that the constant change would be stressful on the dog and that he should stay where he is now or that he clearly loves his new family and the owner shouldn't be able to take him back or whatever touchy feely crap people want to make of it.

Shitty cops. Don't listen and get your dog back- imagine how confused and lost he feels without you. And you never know -they might lose interest,don't care for him in sickness or treat him poorly. Would you let others keep your sibling or child of it was kidnapped? NO!

**** that! It's your dog, you take it back!

The dog belongs to no one, but it's companion and family is OP. I say get the dog back, but dogs belong to no one.

"Autistic" doesn't mean "incompetent" or "made of glass." If the kid's family has any understanding of their child at all they'll be able to explain it to him.

That's not necessarily true. There's a chance the child's autism is very severe and he won't be able to comprehend what they're telling him. Yes op should take his dog back, but I wouldn't just say that the kid will understand, because he may not.

that's stupid. it's your dog. they can just take child to go and get a new one. a diability is not an excuse. that would be me using my son having adhd to let him run around stores and into the road and crap like that.