By queerdragon - 26/02/2016 04:32 - United States - Redlands

Today, a friend located my stolen dog. It was sold to a family that has an autistic child. I was told by the police that I could have my dog back, but they think I am a terrible person if I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 563
You deserved it 1 754

queerdragon tells us more.

I did take my dog back. I have had Riot for three years, so he is a big part of my family. I have also started boarding him during the day or leaving him with a family member/friend. I am moving in a few weeks so hopefully, this won't be an issue that pops up again. Chip your dogs. It is a lifesaver. While I understand where the police officer was coming from (he has an autistic child) you don't sell a family member. Dogs have always been family to me. The kind of awkward part was the mother started crying, asking to buy Riot from me. She said he was so well behaved and they needed something to help their kid. She then kind of demanded I let her son come over to my house to play with Riot when he wanted to. I guess so she could tell her son that Riot was still his, but that he was just living with someone else. I told her no and said I didn't want to have contact with her again. She got mad. I don't think I left looking like a saint, but I am glad to have my dog back.

Top comments

So you should feel bad for having your stolen pet returned? Just because the kid's autistic? No, screw that. Take him back, he's yours.

whatarethisss 23

They can get a new dog. You've had this dog. You should get it back. If one their dog was sold to someone else they would definitely get it back. Dogs are family.

Comments

In this scenario **** the police. Pets are family, that is your dog not theirs they can adopt a new one that will actually be theirs. You deserve your dog back and one of I'm sure hundreds of dogs on the imediate kill list in your area deserves a chance at a new home.

Take your dog back and buy a new dog for the family. The child will probably still love it.

OP doesn't owe them anything. If it was their phone that was stolen, would you expect them to give them money for a new one?

I am not inclined to buy dogs for people.

Or they can just buy a dog from a legitimate shelter? Op has zero obligation.

Quiet_one 22

I'd demand my dog back and pay them whatever they paid for him so they could get a different one. I don't respond well to guilt trips or emotional manipulation. Keeping someone else's stolen dog (or really anything) after you find out it was stolen makes you just as bad as the thief.

Quiet_one 22

After reading OP's comments and how the mother acted when she was forced to return the stolen dog, I think I'd retract my offer to pay them back. Screw that.

I get that people want to be the saviors of the universe, but I am not Goku. My dog was stolen, I got my dog back. They need to seek legal action against the person who sold them the dog. If they ever find out who did it, I will be happy to press charges. However, I want nothing to do with the family who had my dog, I am not inclined to give them money so they can get a dog.

mariri9206 32

Except it's likely OP already paid for the dog and should not have to reimburse them at all. Why should OP have to incur the expense of them not having a dog that wasn't really theirs? I'm not saying they shouldn't get the money back but they should not get it back from OP and OP should not be held responsible for their lost funds. The person that should be responsible for paying them back should be the person who sold them the dog. And, OP, glad to hear you got your dog back!

Quiet_one 22

I saw your other comments after I'd posted mine. Considering the other family are victims in this scam too, I would have initially considered giving them the money they'd paid for my dog as a gesture of goodwill and a thanks for treating him well- it's not like the situation is their fault. But after how rudely the mother behaved I would have taken that offer back very quickly and just got out of there with my dog like you did.

I have paid a few grand for my dog. Not a chance I was just handing a family member over.

You did the right thing OP she's an aweful person for trying the guilt trip card

Take him back he's your dog your dog could be hating his or her life with that family

OP, I am so glad you were able to get Riot back. If I had been forced into your situation, there never would have been any question for me. Like you, I have had my Xolo boy for three years and he is my baby. I would walk through fire for that dog and he is just as attached to me. I'd have been frantic looking for him if he was stolen and I would have taken him back from anyone without hesitation and no looking back. I also would not be letting the other family visit for many reasons. I wouldn't want there to be any mistake about me taking my dog back and, frankly, I just wouldn't be comfortable "sharing" him like that, even just for a few hours at a time. I'm sorry you had to go through this mess in the first place. I am also so glad that Riot's experience was a seemingly positive one. There are so many horrific places he could have ended up instead of with a family that cared about him. I am glad that you and he both came through with only some lost time together. As far as we know, I suppose. I hope that is the case, anyhow.

Take it! Dogs are better than most humans most of the time

If anything, not getting your dog back would be discrimination against autistic people. You would normally take your dog back, right? The circumstance should not change just because their child is autistic. You still have a right to your own pet regardless, plus it is extremely unprofessional and rude of the police to tell you that. If you would like, you probably can file a complaint or something of that sort against them for being so rude.

It seems like OP is just happy to have Riot back and would like to put the whole ordeal behind her.

You look that kid in the face and be like stealing is bad I'm taking my dog back thief

Yo the kid didn't steal the dog, can you read #152?

I think it's cus his idiotic mother obviously isn't going to take the lesson stealing is wrong from the situation, and pass it to her kid. so at least OP could try getting that point across