By queerdragon - 26/02/2016 04:32 - United States - Redlands

Today, a friend located my stolen dog. It was sold to a family that has an autistic child. I was told by the police that I could have my dog back, but they think I am a terrible person if I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 563
You deserved it 1 754

queerdragon tells us more.

I did take my dog back. I have had Riot for three years, so he is a big part of my family. I have also started boarding him during the day or leaving him with a family member/friend. I am moving in a few weeks so hopefully, this won't be an issue that pops up again. Chip your dogs. It is a lifesaver. While I understand where the police officer was coming from (he has an autistic child) you don't sell a family member. Dogs have always been family to me. The kind of awkward part was the mother started crying, asking to buy Riot from me. She said he was so well behaved and they needed something to help their kid. She then kind of demanded I let her son come over to my house to play with Riot when he wanted to. I guess so she could tell her son that Riot was still his, but that he was just living with someone else. I told her no and said I didn't want to have contact with her again. She got mad. I don't think I left looking like a saint, but I am glad to have my dog back.

Top comments

So you should feel bad for having your stolen pet returned? Just because the kid's autistic? No, screw that. Take him back, he's yours.

whatarethisss 23

They can get a new dog. You've had this dog. You should get it back. If one their dog was sold to someone else they would definitely get it back. Dogs are family.

Comments

So this may or may not have been said yet in the comments, but **** this, **** that, **** the cops, get your dog back. Did I leave anything out?

How is this an FML? You got your dog back

ViviMage 38

I have autism. Even with that, if its your pet and its microchipped or collared with an owner name, the owner has a right to the animal. It's stolen property. And it needs to be retuned. End of story. The child will bawl, but that isn't your fault.

Get the dog back and apologize and if they give you crap call them shitheads and tell them you have raised and trained the dog

Go get your dog. Life isn't fair sometimes. Nothing would stop me

Get your dog back. Tell them if he wants you can visit so he can still see the dog if really attached . It's you're baby so don't feel bad . They can get a puppy or a service dog that would better suit the child

I do not want the kid visiting. I have told the family not to contact me. It is not my job to entertain someone else's child. Especially because I don't want children myself, ever. I don't actually really like them. Dogs are better. :D

riledupdemon 3

Talk with the family. See how the dog is doing in this new situation. How is the child reacting. Make a choice then. It's your dog but there isn't a real yes or no. A choice like this needs to be talked out. You have to be a wonderful owner to raise a dog that can be an autistic child's companion animal. That's a rare trait in people these days.

OP's dog was stolen and the thief had no right to sell it to someone else, autistic child or no. She has every right to take back HER dog.

Hey, I just picked a random comment to reply to, since I didn't realize this would be posted so quick or at all. I got the dog back a few days ago. The police officer who told me that has an autistic son and wasn't really trying to be an asshole. The kid who had my dog is severely autistic and my dog is such a ******* cuddle bug that he is great with kids. I ended up taking the dog back because my dog is my baby and I have had him for three years, trained him, and made sure he is able to be around people. I am moving in a few weeks to a better house in a better area, so for now he is going to be chilling inside with me or at my friend's house when I go to work, to prevent the same thing happening again.

Awesome, I'm glad you got your baby back :)

In the words of NWA.. **** the Po-lice. If it was a car or a diamond ring, would they have the same attitude?