By queerdragon - 26/02/2016 04:32 - United States - Redlands

Today, a friend located my stolen dog. It was sold to a family that has an autistic child. I was told by the police that I could have my dog back, but they think I am a terrible person if I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 563
You deserved it 1 754

queerdragon tells us more.

I did take my dog back. I have had Riot for three years, so he is a big part of my family. I have also started boarding him during the day or leaving him with a family member/friend. I am moving in a few weeks so hopefully, this won't be an issue that pops up again. Chip your dogs. It is a lifesaver. While I understand where the police officer was coming from (he has an autistic child) you don't sell a family member. Dogs have always been family to me. The kind of awkward part was the mother started crying, asking to buy Riot from me. She said he was so well behaved and they needed something to help their kid. She then kind of demanded I let her son come over to my house to play with Riot when he wanted to. I guess so she could tell her son that Riot was still his, but that he was just living with someone else. I told her no and said I didn't want to have contact with her again. She got mad. I don't think I left looking like a saint, but I am glad to have my dog back.

Top comments

So you should feel bad for having your stolen pet returned? Just because the kid's autistic? No, screw that. Take him back, he's yours.

whatarethisss 23

They can get a new dog. You've had this dog. You should get it back. If one their dog was sold to someone else they would definitely get it back. Dogs are family.

Comments

**** them. That's your dog. Oh well for the kid, they'll forget about it. Or they can get their own dog.

Autistic or not, that's your dog. Disabled people and their families always want them to be treated equally like everyone else, yet when it comes down to this, they don't like it. Smh. That's your dog, you go get him/her.

You just make a huge sweeping assumption about a very broad spectrum of people. I'm going to very confidently tell you to **** off for all my EDS disabled peeps.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization of HUGE spectrum of people. So on behalf of the people disabled by EDS: **** off

You're not making EDS people look good by telling strangers to **** off.

pheonyx93 2

My dogs are family! I don't care who had them or how they got them, I'd take them back in a heartbeat. I'm sure the family will understand.

Get your damn dog back. If they're nice and understanding people then maybe offer to assist in finding another dog. If they're assholes about it tell them to go to a shelter next time to make sure they don't get anymore STOLEN pets.

The dog is yours doesn't matter if the kid is autistic dogs are family

I wouldn't feel sorry at all. In my opinion the parents were very irresponsible for getting a dog from some random person in the first place since their child is autistic. What if they wouldn't have gotten such an awesome dog and something happened to their child?

As an autistic teen, it's your dog. You should get it back. (Although some financial compensation for that family wouldn't hurt)

They don't deserve anything from the OP. It was her dog in the first place so she shouldn't have to pay the family anything.

I don't feel I owe people who bought my stolen dog money. I am happy that my dog is okay, but it's not my responsibility to make sure they have any money paid to them. They can seek out the thief for money back.

My son is autistic. I would give you your dog back! #1...it's your dog! #2...it's about teaching my autistic child and I will get him another dog!

Good point. This could be a very strong lesson in right vs. wrong and how committing crimes hurts people.

Good for you for taking your dog back but **** the police and that lady for being pissed and saying you shouldn't have

I would be devastated. No one should have to go through that. Pets are family.