Thieves like us

By Bummer - 30/10/2009 02:00 - United States

Today, I found my checking and savings account to both read $0.00. My parents transferred all my money to theirs because "I'm irresponsible, and not fit to handle money." I'm a 3.8 college student and have a full-time job. They are currently unemployed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 886
You deserved it 3 893

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well are you 18 or older? If so, you should have to sign permissions for those things. Report it to your bank. If you're a minor, well, definitely FYL.

Okay, first of all: your life does indeed suck. That's terrible. Second of all: why do they have access to your account? Shut that down, bro.

Comments

moonlight_daze 8

Damn.. they're mooching off of thier own kid. :-/

YDI for giving your parents control over your accounts.

abosulutely!! Your in college!! I've had my own bank account since i was 8 which i have COMPLETE control of.

endless_text 0

Maybe where you live, but in the UK it's possible to have control over your fincances from a MUCH younger age. Here, anyone over 7 can be completely in charge of their own bank account. You need parental permission to open it, but once it's open, they can't have access to it.

boatkicker 4

In the US if you can get access to anyone's account really just by knowing their social security number, DOB, and full name.

No you can't. I know the SS#, DOB, and full name of both of my parents, and I can only find out stuff from their account from ONE woman who works at the bank we've gone to for 14 years, cause she knows I'm their daughter. You have to have a photo ID that shows you to be someone who has access to that account. Boatkicker, either you use some crappy personal lockbox in your bedroom, or you're an idiot. My guess is the latter one.

I'm with PoeticPixie. WTF. Unless you have my bank card and my pin, There's no other way you can get into my account. If you were to say you forgot it they'd ask for other ID. The bank doesn't have my SS. That wasn't one of the pieces of ID I gave them to make the account. OP, not much you can do about it now. Get a new account at another institute. And maybe kill your parents for being inept.

You can just as easily take someone's money through online banking, which requires no photo ID. As long as you have enough information, you can guess the security questions and then you don't even need the password.

boatkicker 4

Okay let me rephrase "You can get access to peoples accounts at many banks, but not all." I have had money leave my account multiple times taken by my father who is NOT on my account. I have confirmed that in person at the bank. There is no way for them to put stops on it either, or so they tell me (this one I'm not entirely willing to believe. There must be a way to stop him from doing it, I just haven't figured it out and they tell me that they wont.) But at least my father always gives me my money back, when he can. He's horrible at handling money. It just really drives me crazy when he takes money from me and doesn't tell me. Because then I overdraw my account because I assume that the money I put in my account is still going to be there next time I pay my rent or buy groceries. I usually make him pay any overdraft fees if he does that, too, but last time he couldn't afford to. Pissed me off majorly. 1) Do not take my money. 2) Inform me if you take my money, so that I don't overdraft. 3) DO NOT TAKE MY MONEY!

nicholasjdiez 0

If your father's name isn't on your account then he has no right to access the money within. Regardless of what information he has if you didn't authorize the transfer of money then the bank is liable and must refund you the money taken out of the account.

boatkicker 4

They wouldn't. They were my first phone call when I got the overdraft notice the first time it happened. Then my father who said he took it. Then i called the bank again. Then I had to go down to the bank in person. Then I called my mother to ask if she would lend me some money for a few days to prevent more fees being added to the account for not paying it off right away.

I have a feeling you're leaving out a crucial detail. Did they say there was nothing they could do, or did they say there was nothing they could do *unless you filled out a police report stating that your father had stolen the money*? Unfortunately a lot of children wind up getting ****** up the ass by their parents because they're not willing to take that step. From the bank's perspective the debit/charge was either fraudulent or nonfraudulent. If it's fraudulent they press criminal charges, and if it's not fraudulent there's nothing for them to do. And the kids go along with it, because stealing from your children is somehow *better* than stealing from a stranger, and less deserving of punishment. What a world.

boatkicker 4

They said there was nothing they can do to prevent him from gaining access again, and that they were not responsible for money lost. They said that if I wanted I could go to the police and get my money back but they would not be involved in that, because they weren't responsible according to some part of the contract (they even pulled out a copy to show me). Unless I informed them that my information was stolen they were not responsible for anything that happened to my account.

In the US, you have to be 18 or 19, depending on the state. I live in one of the few states that require you to be 19, so unless I travel to another state, my parents HAVE to sign for me to open an account at the bank. I'm in college with a 3.5 gpa and a full time job, but my parents still have access to my account for another year because it's not legal for them to not be linked. It's sucks, but it's true .-.

If your a college student, then your clearly an adult. So YDI for letting them access your account. I could understand it if they were still putting money in it but as they're unemployed they're obviously not. Am I the only person who sees it this way?

In certain states you have to be 19 to have your own account. I graduated high school and started college at 17. Until I hit my 19th birthday my parents are legally required to be on my bank accounts. Now, if OP is over 19, then yes, maybe he does a bit. But if he can't get his own account due to age, he can't deserve it at all.

That is one more reason why I only have $1.00 in the checking account I share with Mom. I opened another one all for myself!

Also, I am over 20 and under 29. Even though I wish I was still 9, I still appreciate plenty of the independence that being an adult gives me.

To be fair, they're right. What kind of deadbeat blows all his hard-earned money on college tuition instead of using it for something worthwhile and respectable like booze?

Sure it sucks, but it's your own fault for giving them access.

fyl but still why would you give your parents access to your account?!

956TXking 0

low life parents assholes 