Thieves like us

By Bummer - 30/10/2009 02:00 - United States

Today, I found my checking and savings account to both read $0.00. My parents transferred all my money to theirs because "I'm irresponsible, and not fit to handle money." I'm a 3.8 college student and have a full-time job. They are currently unemployed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 886
You deserved it 3 893

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well are you 18 or older? If so, you should have to sign permissions for those things. Report it to your bank. If you're a minor, well, definitely FYL.

Okay, first of all: your life does indeed suck. That's terrible. Second of all: why do they have access to your account? Shut that down, bro.

Comments

the_stereotype 0

Y ******* DI for not having a 4.0. yes, i said it. that's what you get for thinking a GPA makes you responsible. get into the real world asshole.

Hell yeah! Couldn't have said it better myself.

One majorly obvious question here. Why didn't you break off your bank account from your parents'?

WTFpancakes 0

*sigh* Every single time there's an FML like this, there is always the same argument. I'm going to say FYL. I was 17 when I got a checking account, and I had to have someone co-sign for me to open an account. That person is my mother. At the bank I use, the only way to take my mom's name off of the account is to open a whole new account and have all of my money transferred over, and so forth. In my opinion, it's not worth the hassle. Perhaps the OP is in the same situation and thought that he/she could trust the parents not to pull something like that. My money is mine. My mother does not touch my account at all. She used to look at the statements to make sure I was being responsible, but she doesn't even do that anymore.

YDI for giving your parents access to your accounts. You have a 3.8, but you're obviously a moron.

dude. . . . .that's just all kinds of wrong

This is all kinds of illegal, even if you are a minor. Consult someone about this.

YDI for banking at the same bank as you're parents.

That's weird. If I try to transfer money of more than about £150 anywhere, the bank automatically calls my mobile phone to ask me if I authorise the transfer. I like it that way. Even if I did it myself, I'm prepared for a call within the next hour that takes 2 mins to confirm everything is fine. For that same reason, I managed to prevent someone trying to steal a significant amount of money from my account when they cloned one of my cards (because they also call me for large card purchases). I thought everyone's bank did that‽ I guess not.