Thieves like us

By Bummer - 30/10/2009 02:00 - United States

Today, I found my checking and savings account to both read $0.00. My parents transferred all my money to theirs because "I'm irresponsible, and not fit to handle money." I'm a 3.8 college student and have a full-time job. They are currently unemployed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 886
You deserved it 3 893

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well are you 18 or older? If so, you should have to sign permissions for those things. Report it to your bank. If you're a minor, well, definitely FYL.

Okay, first of all: your life does indeed suck. That's terrible. Second of all: why do they have access to your account? Shut that down, bro.

Comments

Monthar 3

To all you college students and young adults out there. No-one needs to be on your account to transfer/deposit money to it. The only time anyone ever needs to be on the account for is to take money out of it. Anyone who tells you otherwise and wants you to put them on your account, is only telling you that so they can take money out. As you can see from this FML, yes even your parents can and will lie to you about needing access to your money. To reiterate, anyone can deposit/transfer money to your account. All they need is the account number and bank's name (and routing number for electronic transfers). They do not need your PIN or Password nor do they need to be listed on your account.

.... so transfer all the money back and take their names off the account. Not that hard.

piles_of_fail 0

.....for all you people saying YDI because OP lets their parents acess their bank account.....usually parents are decent people and at least ask for financial help and tell you what its used for. Most parents aren't douchebags like OPs parents. Usually, one can trust those that raise them. If you have to expect shit like this, you probably have a sad-ass home life.

I'd one-up that and threaten to send them to Shady Pines. ;)

This was meant to be a response to #9, but the internet crapped out while it was trying to post. OP's parents probably still deserve Shady Pines though.

If you're of legal age,call the police and have them arrested for theft.If you're below the legal age,sue for emancipation.Any judge will see that your parents are deadbeats,no offense,and that you are fitter to take charge of your financial situation.I'm sure that if it's a joint account,you can just appeal to a court and they will be forced to give back all of the money. FYL that you can't trust your parents,but I'm wondering if this is the whole story,or if your parents caught you doing something that you "shouldn't" have.Regardless,if all the money in your account is earned from working,sue the hell out of them.Being financially irresponsible is not grounds for them stealing your money.You might be financially inept,I won't know,but it sounds like your parents are on a massive ego trip and decided to stamp their authority on you. I know plenty of people whose parents have access to their bank accounts,maybe because they opened a joint account when they were minors and didn't bother to transfer the money to a single account,or because they trust their parents enough,or for convenience's sake so their parents can use the cash for emergencies and not have to wait for their kids to wire them the money,or that their parents are major nags who demand access.It's not a YDI for letting your parents have access,it's an FYL for having these types of parents that make their kids' lives hell and still act holier-than-thou.My parents borrow money from me occasionally,but they don't take it because "I'm your parent and it's my money too." They always make sure to return the money.It's not a matter of whether you should have given your parents access to your bank account,it's a matter of having responsible parents who don't just look out for their own interests.If my parents were broke,I'd be more than willing to help to the best of my ability,but if they just decided to take the money I've earned without my permission,I'd sue them and press full criminal charges. Bottom line,open your own account,don't let your parents have any access.If your parents show remorse and are in need of help,keep the joint account open and make a small deposit in that account for your parents.It's what I'm doing,even though my parents don't need the extra cash.

It's not a YDI to have parents on your account, nor is it irresponsible. (1) Sometimes parents need to be on an account for emergencies. My mother is on my savings account (although not my checking) because she needed to handle my finances while I was studying abroad. (2) If you don't live at your "primary address" for a good 9 months out of the year, somebody back home needs to be keeping an eye on the banking mail. And redirecting to the school post office is simply not an option--I've had money from my grandmother disappear before, and I don't trust the students who work there. (3) Sometimes parents have Power of Attorney over their children in case of emergency (like mine do), which would at least greatly facilitate if not completely allow access to my accounts regardless of whether they're officially listed or not. (4) If parents can find out the password for your online banking (or already have it, as mine do, again because I was studying abroad), they don't need any ID to transfer money around. (5) Out of all the people in the world, you should be able to trust your parents. They RAISED you. If you can't trust your parents who the hell CAN you trust?

slaoN_810 0

3.8 must mean your smart huh? lmao

Report this to your bank immediately. They'll help you get your money back.

Wtf is it with you ******' americans? This is like the 3rd or so FML of this sort. WHY ON EARTH would you allow anyone else but yourself to control your account? Who gives a shit if they're your parents or w/ever, it's YOUR money...

buddas_angel 0

If their names are on your account there is very little that you can do to get the money back unless your parents recognize what giant assholes they are and just give it back to you. Time to open your own seperate account. Always be careful about having someone else's name on your account. When you have someone else's name on your account, you are giving them permission to take all the money you have in there out. The bank will not help you out on this one. You could try suing them but I don't see that working out. You might have to just write this off as a very big lesson learned and move on. Sorry dude. FYL