By me - 15/12/2013 01:49 - United States - West Babylon

Today, I managed to infect a clean computer with a virus while looking up info on how to rid my other computer of the same virus. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 594
You deserved it 8 456

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Maybe you should be more careful with what sites you go on...?

#14 These comments are almost as bad as the shitty situation ones.

#14, I swear, I just saw your YouTube comment on 'World's strictest parents' O.o. It feels like I'm being spied on D:

Or y'know... get some decent anti-virus software.

If you still need to fix your computer, restart with in safe mode with networking, and then do a system restore from your start menu by searching it up.

arandomusernameaa 20

That is just a new level of special... Buy a decent antivirus in a shop on a disc and use that... Free antivirus will be awful and won't work/probably give you a virus...

Some free antivirus softwares, such as Avast, are just fine. Sure if you want to be certain you can pay for better ones which in turn stress your CPU more.

Personally I used Kaspersky. It's paid, but Kaspersky is known to be the most active in actually finding and thwarting digital threats. Their software is reliable and has saved me more than once. Reaction time is incredible - one time I inserted an infected USB flash drive (damn school computers) and before I even finished the movement of pushing it in, Kaspersky pulled up in what I like to call emergency mode. :) But usually I stay very clean. No virus has been near my computer in years. Kaspersky is just there for redundancy and last resort.

ViRepz 28

#15 malwarebytes is not an antivirus, its an anti malware tool that is handy to detect existing infections, and it costs a bit to detect malware live. I recommend avast antivirus the free version is amazing and has excellent detection rates. And no, sorry to burst your bubble, but paid antivrus software does not mean better, Norton or McAfee are a good example of this.

#36: Norton & McAfee are the worst crap ever. F-Secure from the paid ones is among the best ones, but CPU gets more stressed by it.

Totally agree with almost all these posts. Avast and Malwarebytes. Add in Ccleaner and an ad blocker and you're set.

Like everyone has said, Malwarebytes is an antimalware program. It is supposed to work in tandem with an antivirus suite. My favorite is MSE. It's light and pretty effective. It works extremely well with other pieces of software and doesn't like to conflict like other AV software I have seen. Also telling someone to pay for antivirus software is pretty dumb advice. Usually the payment part just bloats whatever suite you're using, adding very few useful features and those extra features can be found on another, lighter program. Bootable AV software is the best thing for an infected system. Just download the ISO from a reputable place, burn the disc (Windows 7/8 make this really easy, just right click and hit burn to disc), and boot from it. I like Bitdefender, but there are lots of good alternatives out there.

That sucks, sorry OP! Next time maybe ask for help from your geek friend?

arandomusernameaa 20

You don't have to be a "nerd" to know that if you download dodgy stuff then 90% of the time it has a virus...

ThomasBombadil 31

At least it was just a computer.

Yeah, it could have been something important... like ummm... two computers.

Dude make sure you check the website names before you click on them. If you click on a shady looking website, you're gonna have a bad time.

Ugh Bing is the shittiest search engine ever.

I had that ******* Installmac virus shit on my MacBook for a long time. Brought to me by bing.

9 - Unless you're looking for ****. Then Bing is ******* incredible.

Thejackel79 9

No bing sucks when it comes to just about anything.

Used Bing one time by accident, was searching for minecraft servers and returned websites like "www.freemcdownload.com" repeatedly etc.

Maybe do some research next time? If there is a next time.

nah. OP is just going to give up technology all together and go live with the Amish.

Thejackel79 9

13 thats exactly what he was doing. You should re-read the fml.

He said he was looking it up when the clean one picked up the virus

One might say you're pretty 'contagious', OP.