Thanks, kids

By Anonymous - 28/09/2009 21:21 - United States

Today, I told my son and daughter that their father and I were getting a divorce. They each responded with something like, "Yay! I want to live with Daddy! He buys better presents!" Their father has literally never bought anything for them, one of the many reasons I'm divorcing him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 252
You deserved it 8 734

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Daddy doesn't buy anything for them? That's what you think. What about the countless hookers? The cocaine? The Everclear? All that meant NOTHING to you?! Well, it meant THE WORLD to them.

Maybe "literally never bought anything for them" includes food, shelter, clothing and so forth. You know, literally never bought anything for them. The words the OP used? Sound familiar? Not supporting the children / family at all is a far more valid reason for divorce than just never buying them presents.

Comments

xlovingxmemory 0

do any of you personally know this woman? NO I DIDNT ******* THINK SO. who the **** are you to decide that shes a bitch or that her reasons for wanting to divorce her husband are stupid. its not your relationship so you dont need to agree with it. it takes two to divore. ignorant people. i personaly dont agree wih divorce but im not going go on here and run my mouth about how horrible of a person she is. wtf is the point. do you think this lady really cares what you think about her? Im pretty sure you sould just as stupid to her as you do to me. and please show me where she said she doesnt love him? She most likely oves him very much, love can only go so far. simply put STFU ignorant assholes.

Most of you, the people who said YDI, are assholes and the OP's husband (soon to be ex) is a jackass. OP: FYL :(

Jenny444_fml 0

I understand where she is coming from because she probably feels as if he doesnt really care enough about them to buy them stuff for at LEAST special occasions but still not a good enough excuse to get a divorce... try talking to him more because for kids divorce is tough

Sad, but they will soon figure out who does what. Though, it shouldn't be about who gives what.

riku3220 2

Wow people on the Internet are stupid. I mean I already knew that but COME ON! This is just ridiculous. Did any of you guys pass high school English? They're supposed teach you how to analyse sentences in those classes. If you really couldn't figure out that the OP meant that the father never buys the kids essentials then how did you figure out how to use a computer?

Well seeing as I have a journalism degree and got High Distinction for my grammar subjects, pretty sure I know how to analyse a sentence. This particular sentence COULD be taken several ways and it is not explicit on any of them. It's perfectly logical that a person may assume the OP is whinging about her hubby not buying presents, because presents was the subject of the previous sentence. It's also logical that a person may assume the OP was whinging about hubby not buying groceries or clothes. But what's wrong with that? I think my mother bought 98% of the things I used in my lifetime, but my father was at work to earn the money our household used and he did many other things to show me how much he loved me. (eg. took us camping, to the beach, read us bedtime stories, played with us, helped us with homework, took us on big holidays, etc.) Physically going into the shopping centre and buying something yourself is not the only way of caring for a person. Either way it is still a really lame reason to divorce a person.

Lila, I'm thinking that your father and the OP's husband aren't anywhere near alike. She said literally, so I assume she means literally. Meaning, he perhaps didn't do shit to earn the money for them, or he spent his money on himself or things indirectly aimed for himself ("Look kids! Tickets for the Bears! You like the Bears eh?" "Uhm.." "Of course you do. We're going to a Bears game!" OR "I just bought us a hundred new TV channels! Isn't that great?" where most of the channels are things he's interested in).

Yeah... if you're getting divorced over kids' presents, you deserve to lose the kids. It's obvious they see past you.

Just wait until your kids learn that daddy isn't the one who gives the good presents. Then they'll come running back to you.

amanbaby 0

this is what is wrong with marriage today. people aren't serious. the statistics say 50% of people will get a divorce. all the people I know save a few live with a married couple. divorcing someone because they don't buy your kids gifts is bull shit. you married for love, not to buy kids gifts.

riku3220 2

It's not about the gifts! It's that he doesn't care about them!

You think the fact he doesn't buy them presents mean he doesn't care about them? That's lame. Some people show their love through doing other things, like helping with homework, playing in the backyard with them, taking them to the beach, going camping, etc. Suggesting "he doesn't care about them" just coz he doesn't buy presents is really, really lame.

I think what they mean is he didn't buy anything for them at all. No food or anything. As in any thing the ever came in the house was bought by her...with her money.

Then why did the OP say the exact reason was no gifts, which is not true according to the kids. She is a bitch or an idiot, probably both.

@118: She didn't say 'no GIFTS'. She said 'Their father has literally never bought ANYTHING for them.'