Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 813
You deserved it 11 955

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

doing something "because it's traditional" is almost as stupid as doing something "for no reason". Just because something is traditional doesn't mean it's ok.

You deserved it. This isn't the 50s. Women aren't property. They make up their own minds.

If I were the girlfriend's father, I'd have been happy my daughter's boyfriend asked my permission. I find it to be sweet, and I would also be glad to see he values my opinion and respects me. People these days don't seem to appreciate kindness, common courtesy, or when nice things are done for them. They act all insulted instead. Hopefully he and his girlfriend/fiancée lead a happy life together anyway. :)

i would ask if its true, but u asked him for permission so im sure hes just a jackass

Seems respectful of you, I don't see his problem.

birds_fml 7

You deserved it so hard. He's absolutely right, and my husband and I have agreed that if we have a daughter, and her boyfriend asks our permission to marry her, we will also say no. You don't need permission from her dad. She's an adult... treat her like one.

birds_fml 7

I'd also like to mention that my first boyfriend asked my parents for permission before proposing. Imagine my surprise and hurt when I called my parents to let them know he proposed, only for them to say they already knew. UGH! I'm glad he's an ex.

damonono 2

Isn't he also treating her like an object by saying no and trying to stop the wedding without the input of his daughter

Here4theshow 17

My parents would say no, I am an adult with the ability to choose for myself they don't get to make that one for me. Also it really does damper things to call and everyone knows! Ask her anyway.