Presumption

By fmlgrl - 30/07/2012 06:59 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I went to a corner store to restock my chocolate stash. A guy from work walked in to see me and the cashier arguing about the amount of candy I was trying to buy with a jar of pennies. He took one look at me and said, "That time of the month, eh?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 739
You deserved it 27 157

Same thing different taste

Top comments

blueandpurpleroc 4

A jar of pennies? If I was the cashier I'd want to kill you. Of course if it was that time of the month, I see your desperation.

Pennies: every cashier's worst nightmare.

Comments

Why wouldn't you take the pennies to a coin to cash machine?! I have a job as a cashier and I'd be beyond pissed of someone gave me a jar of pennies to pay for something.

You're 14 and live in the US. There's child labor laws here. Considering you have an FML account I'm going to assume you either have a cell phone or wifi. Which means you're able to afford it. So I doubt you have to work to support your family. Which means, you don't work.

I don't work to support my family, but who the **** are you to tell me I don't work? I'll show you my W-40 and my I-9. I work at a burger shop my mom's old boss owns and I'm a cashier every Saturday or during the week. I have a work permit. I can work a certain number of hours. You obviously aren't as educated as you think you are. And I receive a paycheck. Excuse you.

Two words: working papers. Or maybe she or he works at his/her's parents store. Okay?

58- Exactly. My boss was my mom's boss in high school. He was also three of my aunts' and one of my uncles' boss. It's kind of a family thing. 54 shouldn't pass judgement if she doesn't know all the facts.

hahafylop 4

I've been working for my dad as a salesman since I was 9...

46- It depends where you go. I do it at a bank at the Air Force Base here, and it's free. CoinStar does have a fee, but the banks I've gone to don't charge me.

108- Well, you're clearly wrong. Read the above comments.

unknown_user5566 26

Kendall- Way to stand up for yourself. I see people hating on your age quite often here, and more often than not you reply in a manner that shows you are more mature, and quite honestly, more educated than your attackers. So, kudos to you. :)

117- I know I'll sound pretty lame...but that made my day so far. Thank you so much! You're one of my favorite commenters for a reason.

unknown_user5566 26

131- No problem! I just hate when people choose something as irrelevant as age to base their arguments on. I'm glad I could make your day better, and thank you, I'm glad you enjoy my comments. :)

131, Yeah you go girl, or something equally affirmative that your generation will respond to. Now I'm one of your favourite commenters too, right? Right? Remember those good times we had? Like when I said you go girl, ah good times good times. 138 you've got some badass competition here.

unknown_user5566 26

Downtime, I used to enjoy your comments. Now you take every opportunity possible to be an ass. If you felt that our positive exchange was stupid, thumb us down, and move on.

Really? Here I thought I'd toned things down a bit...oh well.

188- I liked KyleeKay's comments long before she even responded to this. So, no. You won't make my favorites list until you stop being such an ass for no reason.

At least he knows to stay away from you..

Pennies are fun if you have a carbon arc cutter.

At that point you should have turned to him, with a wild look in your eye and said, "Yes, that time of month and this chocolate is the only thing that keeps me from beating your weenie ass!" Then throw down the jar and stomp out with your chocolate. You'll be revered and respected at work from that moment forward.

OR be chased down by the police for third degree assault, petty theft, and disorderly conduct.

Better than him coming to your rescue and yelling at the cashier to leave the poor pregnant girl alone.

Even my bank won't accept pennies unless it's all coin wrapped and has my account written on it. You expect that cashier to count a jar full? **** that! You're a living nightmare!

I can honestly say I never ever have paid anyone in a jar of pennies or any small denomination of coins...And I'm left wondering why the **** you have...

perdix 29

What he meant by "time of the month" was "just before our monthly payday." Those last few days can be awfully short on cash, forcing you to spend loose change. I once read that sellers can refuse pennies for any amount over a quarter.

legally, merchants can refuse any method of payment at the point of sale without much reason.

olpally 32

Really??? What happened to all your regular cash op?? Lmao... Go to a bank and get cash for the pennies... I know it's rare, but they can count it for you.

My bank has a sign up out front that says "no coins or coin rolls". I personally don't get it, but whatever.

also, reminds me of the one time i paid for a $120 walmart purchase in $2 bills. cashier was furious at me,

twisted_cherub 14

We got them all the time at the store. They're still in print and you can ask the bank for them when they ask how you want your check cashed.

TheIchiban 11

They should just get rid of pennies. They are superfluous in any type currency. There is no point having them. Not one item in this world is worth one cent anyway.

TheDrifter 23

Canada has stopped making them, we're just waiting for the penny to die a slow death.

raraisbang 12

Some people like to pay in exact change. If an item rings up go be 2.98 for example, I would like the opportunity to pay with exact change. Not to mention that without pennies I wouldn't be able to get all my change back if I didn't pay in exact change! Pennies are kind of a necessary evil.

59, you dont complain about not paying exact change on gas or purchases where tax doesnt perfectly equal a multiple of a cent. do you think we should re-intoduce half-cents just for those reasons?

raraisbang 12

Because when I put gas in my car I don't pay the amount per gallon. I pay however much it costs to fill up my tank - last time it was 77.82, and I paid that exact change. When you are rung up for gas they don't say "You owe 77.82 and 9/10 of a cent.". It's already rounded out for you. Therefor, you are able to pay exact change.

42)But then there wouldn't be the saying, " a penny earned is a penny saved".

and why shouldnt the same be done with pennies? both mills and cents have no use, other than placeholders for parts of the next highest denomination. pennies can be easily eliminated if rounding is extended from the nearest cent to the nearest nickel

raraisbang 12

It would still be a slow transition, as merchants all over the country would have to edit their prices - not a small feat, especially since the pricing has to be changed for one item in more than one location. Also, so many pennies are in circulation - they would have to be either spent and taken out of circulation or people would have to be given an exchange to other tender (nickels, dimes, quarters) because you can't just tell millions of people that their money is worthless simply because the government has decided to do away with it. THAT would be an uprising. If pennies do see a cease in production, they will still be around for quite awhile before fully disappearing. Kind of like the dollar coin. I have quite a few of those myself still.

The stores still have to accept them when they get them. What they do is either round the price up or down if the costumer doesn't have any. If they do, they must take them. They will eventually be out of circulation the way that our two dollar bill was when the toonie came out. They finally decided to get rid of them because they cost more to make then they are worth.

RedPillSucks 31

@59, I'm assuming Vivera2 is talking about the fact that the actual price listed in most gas stations is in hundreths of cents (3.34 & 99/100) which the gas pumps dutifully round up and slowly rip you off. No one complains cause no one notices/cares about the .01 cent. The gas companies make billions that way.

raraisbang 12

I knew what they were referring to, but nobody really goes to the gas station saying they want 3.19 and 99/100 in gas (here, that's a gallon.) Generally people either fill up the tank, put a few gallons in, or scrape as much gas money as they can find lol. People don't care about that 99/100, but they do care about pennies at the gas pump. Hell, I do a happy dance if gas goes down 2 cents, as bad as that sounds.

twisted_cherub 14

Actually, the 9/10 of a cent at the gas pumps is a tax. That's why, when you pump $40, you pay $40, not $40 plus tax. Yes, it is rounded up, as is any tax. The sales tax here is 8.4%. So if I buy something for $5.30, the tax is $.4452. I can't pay $5.7452, so the amount is rounded to $5.75. But sometimes the tax is rounded down. Interest gained on investments or taken on loans is rounded to the nearest penny. Otherwise we'd have to have thousands of types of currency to represent fractions of cents so all interest and tax could be paid exactly.

74 - Only the final total of a purchase immediately will change. and when a denomination/variant of US currency is discontinued, it is still and always be (unless a law states otherwise) legal tender at its face value, but any specimens of the discontinued currency will be removed as time progresses

74, It has been done in many countries successfully without any uprising or mass panic. I'm sure the USA would be capable of coming up with a solution that works just as well...