Offended

By Anonymous - 04/09/2009 04:31 - Canada

Today, a customer came in who only spoke Spanish. I speak Spanish rather well so I helped the customer. She ended up buying $2300 worth of stuff. I got written up because not speaking English apparently "has the potential be offensive to other customers if they are not able to understand you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 168
You deserved it 3 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, I get that a lot... And the stupid part is? I was hired BECAUSE I'm bilingual.

Well, your in Canada... They have many people who speak French. This one doesn't sound right to me.

Comments

Wow. Anyone who gets offended when they hear two people speaking Spanish or any other language that they don't speak deserves to be punched in the throat. OP: That sucks, get another job.

English is the second most spoken language in the world, with Chinese being first. Of course, the Chinese speakers are all in one country, making it relatively useless. English should be the universal language.

HAHA I love how automatically everoyne assumes the guy that speaks Spanish is illegal, all you guys really reflect well on the USA. First of all, great customer service skills, F your boss and your job for chastising you for doing your job above and beyond what most people could do. Second of all $2300, even in Canadian dollars, is a lot of money, it doesn't matter who it's coming from so bottom line its a win. And if that guys dropping 2300 on a shopping spree, he's more likely a tourist cashing in on stuff cheaper than at home, not some guy who found a wallet with a bunch of cash in it while he was raking the leaves.

You deserve an award for customer service. The reason they wrote you up is ridiculous. Nobody gets offended because you're speaking to a customer in another language. In America, really stupid people who are obsessed with their so-called patriotism might think you are an illegal alien, but as far as I know, Canada does not have the same problem with illegal Mexican immigrants as the US, so I wouldn't know if very many Canadians have the same state of mind. I can't believe your boss was mad that you accommodated the linguistic needs of a customer, especially when doing so enabled that customer to buy $2300 worth of stuff.

fireincire 0

your boss is possibly the stupidest most ignorant person in the world as well as the other customer who obviously complained about you speaking spanish.....knowing other languages is essential in this world where communication is so utterly vital, those who wish to blind and gag themselves with their thoughts of English as a superior language and if you're going to be in the United States you must speak it can go right ahead. They'll be at a disadvantage once they decide to pull their head out of their ass and see reality. You should get employee of the month rather than being written up. It doesn't even matter if the customer was illegal or not. Illegal workers are the backbone of our economy, without them it would have collapsed much sooner, faster and further than it has. Now they are busy rebuilding it until Americans can get themselves off their lazy asses and help a little. your customer spent 2300? thats much better than most people these days, its what the economy needs. so props to you for helping out

"That's really what it is, you have to either sacrifice values and patriotism at the expense of making money... OR you have to sacrifice making money to stand by your values and patriotism." Did you know Canada has two official languages? Probably not. So what if, hypohetically, the rich man came in speaking French and, this being British Columbia, the OP's Quebecois wasn't as good as his English? Should he demand that the patron speak English? Wouldn't that be unpatriotic? It's a good thing for the store and the customer that the OP wasn't as thickheaded as you and the rest of your ilk.

You made a huge sale. Whoever wrote you up is a moron. Then again most hosers are racist morons anyway.

Erbtosis 10

I don't know about over in Canada, but in the U.S. you can sue for that type of racism.

I hope you know that mandarin chinese is spoken by the most people in the world. English is second. Then spanish i believe

Wow your life is f__ked. That is racist, intolerant, and ignorant..and just...unbelievable.