Offended

By Anonymous - 04/09/2009 04:31 - Canada

Today, a customer came in who only spoke Spanish. I speak Spanish rather well so I helped the customer. She ended up buying $2300 worth of stuff. I got written up because not speaking English apparently "has the potential be offensive to other customers if they are not able to understand you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 168
You deserved it 3 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, I get that a lot... And the stupid part is? I was hired BECAUSE I'm bilingual.

Well, your in Canada... They have many people who speak French. This one doesn't sound right to me.

Comments

@ #123 just bcuz ur a fuking mexican and ur invading our goddamned country doesnt mean u make ur language the official one dumbfuk

jewrlove 0

First of all, the Europeans invaded the US. The Native American's were here first. The western land mass of the US (now considered Texas, California, etc) were first inhabitted by the Native Americans, Mexicans & some Spanish people who moved there when Mexico was conquered by the Spaniards. Second, your a dumbass. STFU.

how can you possibly make that assumption

I can only say that your job sucks, so maybe get another one where you special skills can be appreciated instead of being frowned upon? to some of the comments...I wonder when language stopped being a mean of communication and started being the reason to insult minorities and immigrants on one hand and the motto of the stupid idiots who move to another country and are to lazy to learn the language and call it "preserving their own precious ******* culture" on the other.

Shouldn't the customer learn the language that is most spoken?

F*ck that reverse racism BS! What ever happened to diversity? Good for you for attempting a bridge and performing well on the job

People SHOULD learn the native language. I'm planning on doing a study-abroad in Denmark next year and I'm doing what I can to not just be an ignorant American speaking English the entire time. HOWEVER, not everyone has the resources to learn the language, and some people simply cannot learn a new language without putting an enormous effort into it. OP, you did exactly what you should have done, and your supervisor is extremely closed-minded. When I was working in retail last year I had a similar situation: I saw a manager trying to talk to a man in a 'Mexico' t-shirt, but noticed a communication barrier and stepped in since I'm at least proficient in Spanish; fortunately, my supervisor understood that I helped a customer better than most of the employees could have, and I was commended. Honestly, I'd take the issue to Corporate if you actually get in trouble for it.

Time to look for a new job unless you enjoy working around racists.

annie101 0

All of you dumbasses crying reverse racism sound stupid! Reverse means opposite so the reverse of racism would equal no racism at all you idiots. Second of all, look up the word racist in the dictionary because this fml is not racist, so again you look like an ignorant twat for crying racism when there is none.

helpmeiamblind 0

YDI it is offensive to speak spanish in a non-spanish country. It's a rude language anyways.

I was going to comment something mean and hurtful until I saw your name. Now I can mindlessly curse at you and you wont see it =D