By Smittynumerouno - 28/10/2016 03:13 - United States - Amarillo

Today, I had an old man yell in my face because the boxes in our store only had Spanish words on them. I spent 15 minutes apologizing and trying to explain that the English was on the back side. He stormed out before I could even show him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 824
You deserved it 917

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I applaud your patience, but that guy had no interest in what you had to say. Older folks in border states tend to be extremely bitter about ANY reminders of the local immigrants. One time a guy ranted at me for 5 min straight about the Spanish side of a box after he had ALREADY READ the English side. He was just offended that the Spanish was there at all. "The hell is this gobbledygook all over the side, why the hell should I have to look at it?! I'm an American goddammit, DO I LOOK LIKE I SPEAK TACO??!!!"

Why did it take you fifteen minutes to turn a box around?

Comments

Why did it take you fifteen minutes to turn a box around?

The customer was probably not listening and OP had to keep repeating and starting over and over. Customer was also probably yelling over the top and stuff

Instead of trying to explain over and over, OP could have literally just turned a box around and shown him the English.

Was it like store boxes filled with items that needed to be merchandized, or boxes you buy as is with labels on the front? If it's the first, it shouldn't matter because those boxes don't stay in the store anyway, he doesn't need to read them. And could he have easily turned them around himself? Either way it's not a reason to yell at you, items having both a Spanish and English side is not new in the US, you think being on the older side he would know this. I don't think you should've apologized, you had no reason to. He was overreacting and basically being verbally abusive to an employee who is not at fault for his "problem." I applaud you though cause you have more patience than I do. Employees have the right to refuse service to anyone and that's what I would have done while saying I will not talk or help him until he treats and shows me some respect.

sylvienoir 18

no, they don't, not if their boss says they dont idk about you but every job ive had if i had just not even tried to make anything better i wouldve been fired even if the person is beinv completely unreasonable you still have to take that shit on the chin in low paying customer service jobs

I applaud your patience, but that guy had no interest in what you had to say. Older folks in border states tend to be extremely bitter about ANY reminders of the local immigrants. One time a guy ranted at me for 5 min straight about the Spanish side of a box after he had ALREADY READ the English side. He was just offended that the Spanish was there at all. "The hell is this gobbledygook all over the side, why the hell should I have to look at it?! I'm an American goddammit, DO I LOOK LIKE I SPEAK TACO??!!!"

I don't understand why you're being downvoted. You made a true point, and then told a personal anecdote that proved your point, all the while being funny.

Don't try to figure out the logic of what causes comments to be downvoted on this site. It often makes no sense at all.

"Do I look like I speak taco?!" That's so going down in my book of funny quotes

"I can see you're bilingual. You obviously speak racist."

To be honest, this is many old folks in general. They're used to things being a certain way, and they figure they're old enough that they shouldn't have to adjust to change.

OHHH MYY GOOD. I would have bursted out laughing hahahah xD

Aww FYL OP, it sucks when you get blamed for things that are out of your control.

Ugh, it's digesting how you were treated. ? That man is horrible.

dietcoke09 25

I can say I'm not surprised it happened in Texas. Sorry OP. Some customers just suck.

I am. We've had bilingual boxes in Texas for many years. You have to be a real idiot to not know how to turn it around.

15 minutes to apologize? Did you give him a lecture on the conquistadors, colonialism, indigenous peoples, manifest destiny, NAFTA and white privilege? You should have just spun the box around and tell him, "This all goes away when we build The Wall," and wink.

You may not be an asshole but this comment makes you seem like one.

everton99 16

Absolutely no surprise at all here. I work for Frito Lay and whenever I'd service a Fiesta or some other Mexican grocery store it would never fail that there would be someone in there bitching about everything being in Spanish. Bruh, you're in a Mexican market what do you expect?

Fifteen minutes and you couldn't show him?