Offended

By Anonymous - 04/09/2009 04:31 - Canada

Today, a customer came in who only spoke Spanish. I speak Spanish rather well so I helped the customer. She ended up buying $2300 worth of stuff. I got written up because not speaking English apparently "has the potential be offensive to other customers if they are not able to understand you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 168
You deserved it 3 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, I get that a lot... And the stupid part is? I was hired BECAUSE I'm bilingual.

Well, your in Canada... They have many people who speak French. This one doesn't sound right to me.

Comments

NB789 0

#154/155. You forgot Canada. While I know we don't have a huge population or anything that would put your numbers out because I am sure that there is an overwhelming majority of English speaking Canadians. You also can't count properly. Because 1333 million is not a correct number. 1.33 billion is but now 1333 million is not. Just thought I should let you know.

yeah. In one way if you first moved here then its ok that you don't know the language. but if you don't attempt to even try to speak the language then you shouldn't even be here. i know people who last over 10 years without any attempt. its ******* ridiculous.

if your in the US then what your boss did was illegal. There is no official language in the US. Them writing you up is grounds for a lawsuit so go and call your lawyer and getz some free money. For anyone that believes that you should speak english in the US then yur the most unpatriotic american. Go learn some US history and read the constitution and amendents before you talk your lame game.

cademfjohnson 0

hmm.. you can file a lawsuit for that

Suckers ! i know 4 languages already how hard it can be to learn english ?. but i think if they go somewhere to buy stuff they should know at least how to ask for what they are looking for , right ?

that really sucks, especially because this story is coming from canada. we have thousands of people who live here that don't speak english, or french; and you know what, that's okay. most came here for a better life for them and their children, those of which will grow up learning english and/or french. there's enough people here that speak whatever your mother tongue is to get by, so if you don't feel the need to learn a new language, why do it? besides, i know many have done it, but english is one of the hardest languages to learn.

Chocolate_Chunk 2

english one of the hardest languages? Are you ******* kidding me? Of all the languages I speak (or at least spoke once), english is BY FAR the easiest one. Calling english hard is like calling swedish easy or a cheetah slow. Just as an example, in many languages, everything has a gender. In english, everything's just "the" - "I want to move THE table", "I work at THE computer" and so on. In other languages, you always have to remember the gender of everything, be it an apple, a spacecraft, a tire or a warthog. Also, the verb forms are way easier than in pretty much every other language. First and second person are the same, just like the plural forms, third person has an additional 's'. That's the rule that is true for almost every verb in the english language. Just compare english with, say, german: "I throw, you throw, he throws, we throw, you throw, they throw" - "Ich werfe, du wirfst, er wirft, wir werfen, ihr werft, sie werfen". It gets even worse with past tenses and such. Seriously, if anything, english is the easiest language to lern, not the hardest. Hell, I never was in america and just twice in the UK and I'd say I speak it pretty good - yet I suck at lerning languages (I can now hardly speak a word french despite having had courses for several years)

That's ridiculous. My bosses at work are so grateful when those of us who speak it are able to help occasional customers who only speak French well.

This can't be real. Canada is a completely bilingual country. No one would, or could, be written up for speaking something besides English.

maybe in entirety new brunswick is bilingual, but there are many many towns and cities across canada that have large french populations.. and in quebecs case, english populations.

cloudkittycat 0

That's ridiculous I can't FIND a job because I don't know ENOUGH spanish

well honestly i work with indians and im white... they always talk about me in pinjabi its effin stupid. i cant believe you got wrote up And i live in bc.