Offended

By Anonymous - 04/09/2009 04:31 - Canada

Today, a customer came in who only spoke Spanish. I speak Spanish rather well so I helped the customer. She ended up buying $2300 worth of stuff. I got written up because not speaking English apparently "has the potential be offensive to other customers if they are not able to understand you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 168
You deserved it 3 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, I get that a lot... And the stupid part is? I was hired BECAUSE I'm bilingual.

Well, your in Canada... They have many people who speak French. This one doesn't sound right to me.

Comments

Boat4373 0

respectfully, FAKE. no retail business which has the potential to sell 2300 dollars to one person would take part in descriminatory practices.

Not the business. But if your supervisor is a douche and just wants to FYL then he will. It has happened to me and it's completely ****** up! Your job when you work in costumer service is to give good service. Don't understand why you should get written up for giving a costumer EXTRA good service by speaking to them in a language they understand.

I work at a Walmart and I've had to speak Spanish to customers several times. If I got written up for it I'd have to bust some heads lol. @OP: I agree, your life is f'ed

I don't know how old this is, but the truth is basically everyone here is right. Spanish has slightly more NATIVE speakers than English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_commonly_spoken_Languages_worldwide English is the most widely spoken language in the world OVERALL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers It is my personal opinion that it's only polite to learn the language of the country you move to. However, the F(ed) up part of this situation was the management's response, not the Spanish speaker

That's gay. Defend yourself, OP. So what if you're speaking Spanish to a customer? Your higher-ups need to understand the importance of tending to customers with special needs. Como dije: defiendete.

Honestly, if there is truly one language everyone on Earth should know, it's Latin. Why not? Science uses it, and it's fair to almost everyone.

two words... "I quit".. or "**** u""

Chocolate_Chunk 2

You kinda deserve it. People who move to another country and don't lern the official language there are assholes and you shouldn't enforce their failure to do so by speaking with them in anything but the official language. Only exception are tourists and they're easy to spot. Around here, it got so bad that official documents have to be given out in about 20 different languages because all the immigrants just wont even try to read them if they were not in their native language (wrong decision, IMHO, they should just be given out in the official language, screw the assholes who don't read them. Oh, you decided to ignore all the reminders that you still have taxes to pay? Have fun with Bubba then)

KB616 11

I think I would have quit. **** that shit.

Robert595 0

the united states does not have an official language. So for all of you out there that say its an immigrants fault for not speaking english, its not. And as for english being a hard language? IT IS. I'm taking spanish in high-school... its sooo much easier than english! English has no real patterns or discernible rules. Look at the plurality of nouns, fox goes to foxes moose? stays as moose. Goose? stays as goose. Both my parents are foreign language teachers. My dad grew up in Italy, moved to America, and knows English Spanish French and Italian fluently. He says that English remains the hardest as it has little structure. And just look at your comments! The grammar on this site is atrocious! You guys can barely speak english yourselves!