Offended

By Anonymous - 04/09/2009 04:31 - Canada

Today, a customer came in who only spoke Spanish. I speak Spanish rather well so I helped the customer. She ended up buying $2300 worth of stuff. I got written up because not speaking English apparently "has the potential be offensive to other customers if they are not able to understand you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 168
You deserved it 3 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, I get that a lot... And the stupid part is? I was hired BECAUSE I'm bilingual.

Well, your in Canada... They have many people who speak French. This one doesn't sound right to me.

Comments

xkayla_gorex 0

that's tough. I work at H-E-B(a Texas grocery store) and lots of Spanish only speaking people shop there. I speak French, which I learned at school and little bits and pieces of Spanish which I learned from pretty much living in Texas, and my peers. I too used to be one to say "you live here so learn English!" I grew up and realized how ignorant of a statement that is. BUT it is very upsetting when you're checking out a spansh speaking only customer, and they get upset with me for not knowing what they're saying, laugh and look at me as if I'm ignorant. I DO understand why they too would be frustrated as well though, with me using hand gestures and pointing to things. some of you(Americans as a whole) shouldn't be so close-minded and refuse to..also try and pick up parts of another language just as we expect them too. regardless if we like it or not. (I for one do not) compromise man...

cartering 0

then why don't you move to a country that has an official language? Makes a whole lot more sense given your view on learning other languages, than staying in the US, given that English is not, has never been, and likely never will be an official language in the US

xkayla_gorex 0

did I say it was an official one? no. I said that with me living in Austin Texas I damn near had no choice. I didn't take a class or anything I just picked things up from being around so many Spanish speakers and my little sisters in elementary school where they teach you both Spanish and English now. when you're around it a lot, you tend to pick up on things why the hell would I leave the U.S?! because I now understand little Spanish?

#96, I've lived in or near two very hispanic areas for most of my adult life. I unfortunately haven't managed to learn Spanish, because people speak English around me. That includes multilingual folks. I'd like to learn another language, but it's hard to find people who I can speak it with. Even though it should seem simple enough, most people "don't have enough time" to teach it. Only once have I had a problem with only speaking English. That was at a McDonalds in a very hispanic neighborhood. The girl tried to take my order, and didn't understand "hamburger". She may have been just stupid, but her responses were in Spanish. She called someone else over who took my order, and then there were some strong words exchanged. If I understood from the tone of their voices, it would have been something like "Are you stupid, he just wanted a hamburger. what good are you if you can't take an order for a hamburger at McDonalds?" :) In 35 years, and having traveled in 4 different countries, that's not too bad. Sometimes the language barrier has been removed by pointing and nodding. "[si | ja | oui | da], that bottle of beer." :) And when the American economy was better, folks were happy accepting American dollars almost everywhere I went. :)

xkayla_gorex 0

exactly. I live where it's lots of spanish speaking or most can speak both. my high school was more Hispanic than anything else and everywhere you walk, SOMEONE is speaking Spanish. in class, their would be groups of students only speaking Spanish, they knew English as well but that was just more comfortable to them. how could I NOT pick up on some words. I think that it upsets people when you say it's mandatory to learn either language.

idiotcircus 0

i think this could be a very luckrative law suit

Yeah she should know how to speak english. When you do that you are only encouraging lazy ass people not to learn the language. If less people knew spanish they would be more motivated to learn but why should they when so many people here know it.

Why should she? Sounds like you're the lazy one, saying less people should learn a second language. And you have no idea if she was just on holiday or not.

JonKolbe 0

Unless the company has a strick and clear policy against speaking anything but English, your boss should be the one written up.

fadedmemories14 0

Wow, unless you have a clear and strict policy like #105 said, then this is bullshit. They're just losing customers who only know how to speak a certain language other than english, and wouldn't the boss be happy that you earned $2300? Kudos to you for helping the woman out. And to #99, please refrain from commenting just because you're too lazy to learn a second language.

hey why is it that on almost every FML the comments go off talking about some other bull s**t that is not about the original post. comments are supposed to be about the original post, am i wrong. so with saying that here is my comment: you did the right thing the lady was probably very happy that you were able to help her our and she ended up buying a lot of stuff so whoever wrote you up is an ass

proud_liberal 0

Spanish should be the official language of America. anyone who disagrees is obviously a racist.

I am not racist, but why should America work so hard to accompany everyone else? No other countries do that. And it would inconvience so many other people than it would help and there ARE other people who speak other languages from all over the world in America. What about those people? I'm learning to speak spanish in high school, but that doesn't make any sense.

WannabeMD 0

Lol #123. #125, he was OBVIOUSLY kidding.

I can't believe that your store is complaining because you made a sale. The store I work in would rejoice, hahaha.

laomaostu 0

no way! don't believe any business will do that!