Grades go both ways

By tomandjerry - 21/05/2009 04:35 - United States

Today, I was scolding my 8 year-old son because he was getting bad grades in school. I told him that he should get straight "A"s like his friend Ceejay. He told me that comparing him to Ceejay was unfair. When I asked why, he said, "Because his dad is actually smart." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 915
You deserved it 66 540

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's no need to compare to the other kids in the class. What if the kids parents do everything for him? Tell your child to do what they can do, don't push them to be something more than what they are. YDI. And #2, scolding doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

You don't compare your kids to other kids. It's unfair and incredibly rude to your child. If he's not getting A's, maybe something else is up. Maybe CJ's dad actually helps his kid with his homework? And your kid's 8 years old. They don't even get letter grades yet I don't think. You should be encouraging him.

Comments

YDI, as everyone else has said. Stop doing that shit. It will only breed resentment for you, their friends, and himself for feeling like he's falling short.

You deserve it for demanding straight As. Simple as that.

you should apologize to him. that will teach humility and kindness. From a poem called 'children learn what they live' : If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn. If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence. If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect. Google it and learn from it.

you're a dick for comparing your own son to a FRIEND of his...

dorowz 0

You shouldn't compare your kid to another, that's just bad parenting. And secondly, you should spend more time helping him rather than posting things out here!

babymama1029 0

wow. what horrible parenting skills. YDI and more.

chroniclurker 0

I can tell you right now in elementary school, grades are very, very much up to how the teacher wants to grade. If CJ goes to another school or has a different teacher, chances are the environment there is different and possibly easier to get straight As in. At this point in his education, the most potent grade-booster is YOU. If you spend time working on school things outside of school (asking him to add up how much two items cost at the supermarket, asking him to spell random items you come across, as just a few examples) that shows your son that a) school isn't just in the classroom and b) you care enough about his school subjects that you are willing to make an effort to create a more "learning-friendly" environment at home. I remember a few teachers I had in elementary school--even some in middle school--who didn't believe in giving As unless the work was absolutely flawless (and yes, they took off for less-than-perfect handwriting). As long as your child is putting in a REASONABLE amount of effort you should be happy. And that one comment about CJ's dad has some merit; if CJ's dad helps CJ with his homework every night, CJ WILL have an advantage. My dad is a "comparer." Now, my sister and I never threw knives at him or did anything like that out of anger, but I never got along the same way again with the friends he would put forward as "ideals." The problem with comparing people to try to inspire improvement is that one aspect is not an entire person. CJ may have better grades, but he may not be able to run as fast or throw a ball as far as your son. Instead of showing someone as being superior and saying your son should be superior, a better tactic is to show how much you value your son and, if you really think so, how you think he has it in him to do better.

I can't decide here. I'm inclined to think YDI for you spelling CJ as Ceejay, but at the same time, if does prove that your son has a valid point, because you clearly are not very smart. At the same time though, the kid is eight. If he's getting anything other than straight A's in elementary school, you need to act now or your life will be ******, because he'll be living with you until he's 30.

You shouldn't compare your child to others. He is who he is, and you should support him and help him grow into an individual.

deaditegirl 0

Don't compare your kid to other kids. Everyone knows that. You can encourage him to get good grades and study and whatnot without comparisons to other people.