Grades go both ways

By tomandjerry - 21/05/2009 04:35 - United States

Today, I was scolding my 8 year-old son because he was getting bad grades in school. I told him that he should get straight "A"s like his friend Ceejay. He told me that comparing him to Ceejay was unfair. When I asked why, he said, "Because his dad is actually smart." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 915
You deserved it 66 540

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's no need to compare to the other kids in the class. What if the kids parents do everything for him? Tell your child to do what they can do, don't push them to be something more than what they are. YDI. And #2, scolding doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

You don't compare your kids to other kids. It's unfair and incredibly rude to your child. If he's not getting A's, maybe something else is up. Maybe CJ's dad actually helps his kid with his homework? And your kid's 8 years old. They don't even get letter grades yet I don't think. You should be encouraging him.

Comments

MikesAgirl 0

Never ever compare ur kids with their friends.

You deserved it, you shouldn't be comparing your kid to other kids. Especially saying he should get straight A's. Not everyone can do that, and you probably didn't get straight A's in school either. I hate parents like that, I knew someone in school who if she didn't get all A's all the time, she'd get grounded. Maybe you should examine what you're doing first before complaining about your kid. If he actually is getting bad grades (it could even be a B or C for all I know) if you can't help him yourself, there are many companies like Sylvan.

How do you NOT deserve that! YDI!!! My mom is always comparing me to my best friend and with my sister... and it SUCKS...! And... he is smarter than you...!

Haha, he might not get the same grades as CJ but at least he's probably wittier! You should be proud of him - whatever his grades are. Grade A's aren't the be-all and end-all of life. Plenty of people who dropped out of school have gone on to be incredibly successful. And I know plenty of A-graders who I went to school with whose lives are now going nowhere... By all means encourage him to study hard but you should also recognise the things he IS good at, whether that's sport, music or his apparent ability to make people laugh! Besides, CJ sounds like a loser. Why would you want your son to be like anyone other than who he is?

idreamofpeace 0

You really shouldn't be comparing your child with someone else anyway. Now you know how it feels.

lucey15 0

he's 8 years old, the last thing he should be worrying about is school work, hell i was a C student in elementary school, and now im one of the top of my class at one of the top engineering schools in Canada. When he turns 12, maybe then u should try to impose some study skills upon him, but until then dont worry too much, he seems like a pretty witty kid.

YDI. You should NEVER compare your child to somebody else. You're going to give him low self-esteem!

Wow, everyone's giving OP such a rough time on the comparison issue. I'm certainly not advocating comparisons, but I wouldn't rush to call him a "shit parent" because of it, or saying that he obviously grounds his kid whenever he gets a B or doesn't appreciate his kid on any other level based on one post you found on the FML website. Not that this necessarily makes it "right" (because, don't get me wrong, I still disagree with comparing kids), but honestly, pretty much every parent I know uses it even when they say they won't; it's at least slipped out before. And I'm not sure, but I don't think the point isn't "He's not getting A's," so much as, "Is he trying his best?" Because most of the kids I knew who tried their best were naturally competitive, anyway, so it didn't really matter what the parent was saying about so-and-so. The kids who cared would still have cared, and the kids who didn't continued not to care. I agree that it can definitely put a dent into kids' self-esteem, but I've seen this be far more significant when the other kid is a sibling than a Ceejay (and it could be spelled that way...I'm really not understand why people are jumping on that). Now that that's said...don't compare your kid to other kids!

dont expect him to be like somebody else, that's bad for his self esteem. Write back to fml, you just got a parenting lesson from a boy 7 years older than your son

#83 - Kids learn a lot from what they see. If they're constantly being disrespected in the home, guess how they're going to act. The parent is the one who is responsible for teaching their kid respect and hard work, they don't just pop out knowing what to do. Just lamenting the fact that your child isn't like his friend does nothing. Why doesn't the parent look at what they could be doing differently to support and help his son in school? It makes a difference. When I was a kid, my dad used to have to go to work soon after I got home, so he couldn't help me with my homework. Whenever I needed help, my mom would just say she didn't know, but then when I brought home bad homework reports, she would get mad and compare me to my friends. Did that help me learn better? Like hell it did. Then, my dad changed his hours and was around to help me with my homework. He actually took the effort to help me learn and complete it, and I started bringing home great homework reports.