Grades go both ways

By tomandjerry - 21/05/2009 04:35 - United States

Today, I was scolding my 8 year-old son because he was getting bad grades in school. I told him that he should get straight "A"s like his friend Ceejay. He told me that comparing him to Ceejay was unfair. When I asked why, he said, "Because his dad is actually smart." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 915
You deserved it 66 540

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's no need to compare to the other kids in the class. What if the kids parents do everything for him? Tell your child to do what they can do, don't push them to be something more than what they are. YDI. And #2, scolding doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

You don't compare your kids to other kids. It's unfair and incredibly rude to your child. If he's not getting A's, maybe something else is up. Maybe CJ's dad actually helps his kid with his homework? And your kid's 8 years old. They don't even get letter grades yet I don't think. You should be encouraging him.

Comments

bahahahhahahhaha don't compare your children to other kids you got what you deserved

NEVER, I repeat NEVERRRRR compare your kids with other kids, especially friends! THAT IS NOTTTT a smart thing to do. It's not good at all. You're only lowering your kid's self-esteem and it will lead them to be insecure and think that others are better than them. Good parenting skills you got there...not!

bladebeast 0

#86 read my comment and then think about what you put obviously it is a smart thing to do because if the children want the comparisons to stop then they have no choice but to get better. Due to this most become succesful, also this is nothing compared to how your parents or this kid's dad was raised, he better at least acknowledge the fact that he is lucky to have not been hit for saying that.

Curtieeeez 0
lobstar 0

OP needs to learn the real value of grades. Getting straight A's doesn't make you any better than the person who gets a few B's and a C. Stressing perfection above all else screws kids up, like that girl who tried to suicide over not 100%-ing her chemistry final because she thought she was a total failure. Learn to chill out and help your kid, and maybe C's are the best he can do in a given subject. After you finish high school and get you first job no one gives a rat's ass about your grade school grades anymore.

Amen to that, #88. I rarely ever got straight a's, but I'm still graduating Summa Cum Laude, so don't think less than perfect isn't still good. The only thing my parents care about, though, is whether or not I did my best. And I did, so that's why they're proud. Not just because of the grades.

YDI. Felt crappy didnt it?! Learn to encourage your child to do better and perform better without making them feel like garbage.

the worst thing you can do to your kids self-esteem is compare them to their friends..

As everyone has said, stop comparing your kid to other kids. It's okay to push him to do his best and try to put in more effort, but comparing doesn't do any good and can make him feel like he's not as smart as his friend. Every kid is different and at different levels, especially at that age. One kid might be naturally gifted and doesn't need to study or try very hard, and he still gets A's, while another might try a lot harder and still only get B's. One of my pet peeves is parents who do that to their kids. F your kids life for having a dad like that.

Cantabguy 0

#83, so you're saying a parent can mentally and emotionally **** their kids up as much as they like as long as they don't physically abuse them? Bad parents create messed up children who in turn become more bad parents. There really needs to be some sort of test before people are allowed to become parents, other than the physical one.