Grades go both ways

By tomandjerry - 21/05/2009 04:35 - United States

Today, I was scolding my 8 year-old son because he was getting bad grades in school. I told him that he should get straight "A"s like his friend Ceejay. He told me that comparing him to Ceejay was unfair. When I asked why, he said, "Because his dad is actually smart." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 915
You deserved it 66 540

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's no need to compare to the other kids in the class. What if the kids parents do everything for him? Tell your child to do what they can do, don't push them to be something more than what they are. YDI. And #2, scolding doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

You don't compare your kids to other kids. It's unfair and incredibly rude to your child. If he's not getting A's, maybe something else is up. Maybe CJ's dad actually helps his kid with his homework? And your kid's 8 years old. They don't even get letter grades yet I don't think. You should be encouraging him.

Comments

LMAO. Your son finished you hahahahahaha!

Straight A's can be a hard achievement. I live in Canada where we use number averages but since my social teacher doesn't know how to turn the feature off we get to see our "letters" (is that what you call it?) I have an 83.5% in social and it's still considered a b! And that's an honor roll mark! Don't overshoot it, when you don't get the grade you expect, you're disappointed. Especially when you want the grades to be just like "CeeJays" (is that even his real name!?!). I really feel really bad for the kids who have parents who expect 90's and 100's in classes. It's a hard achievement and pushing your kid too hard can cause a ton of resentment. Well now I'm late for school from ranting.

YDI for being an ass and comparing your son to his better achieving friend. You shouldn't expect your son to get straight A's. Encourage him to do better.

jAmbre 0

YDI for making a poor attempt @ giving your son an inferiority complex...

koneko12984 0

yeah. maybe you shouldn't compare him to other kids like that.

thelonelylurker 0

OOOOOOOO.... haha you totally deserved that!

The fact that you're yelling at your EIGHT YEAR OLD son about work is just disgusting man. Wait for highschool for that kind of stuff. Give the kid a break, and let him enjoy being a kid. Besides, the work at age eight is what...drawing a picture?

# 36, HAH! The kid's got quite the mouth on him but then again he's got you for a dad. This is a complete YDI. You can't expect your kid to get straight A's on his own. A lot of those kids receive extra help and tutoring from parents or outside sources. You're pretty ignorant if you think those kids are naturally learned enough to get those marks on their own. If you were looking for sympathy comments then you came to the wrong place. You should be encouraging your child to do his homework and to learn. You might even consider that he learns differently from other kids or maybe he's bored with the school work. All kids learn differently and need individual evaluation. The educational institution can only cater to so many kids that some manage to slip through the cracks. There aren't enough teachers to make sure each child is learning at the right pace. It's the parents job to make sure their kids are able to keep up and learn once their teachers send them home with homework. In Canada, primary/elementary teachers teach their class all the subjects unless it's French in some provinces. That means they are teaching at least 6 subjects per day. Thirty students per class for one teacher who has to teach them ALL the subjects? You must be kidding me if you think teachers can keep exact track of all the kids. You try rounding up 30 kids per day and making sure they're retaining all the information you teach them. EFF that. It's pretty assholey of you to expect him to learn and process information the same way Ceejay does. You think he wants to learn when his dad makes him feel like crap?

Let me get this straight... You're telling an 8-year-old to get straight A's? Is that the kind of ideal we need ingrained in young children? YDI just for that.

gislince 0

stop comparing children to others, that's so stupid! you deserved that