Grades go both ways

By tomandjerry - 21/05/2009 04:35 - United States

Today, I was scolding my 8 year-old son because he was getting bad grades in school. I told him that he should get straight "A"s like his friend Ceejay. He told me that comparing him to Ceejay was unfair. When I asked why, he said, "Because his dad is actually smart." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 915
You deserved it 66 540

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's no need to compare to the other kids in the class. What if the kids parents do everything for him? Tell your child to do what they can do, don't push them to be something more than what they are. YDI. And #2, scolding doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

You don't compare your kids to other kids. It's unfair and incredibly rude to your child. If he's not getting A's, maybe something else is up. Maybe CJ's dad actually helps his kid with his homework? And your kid's 8 years old. They don't even get letter grades yet I don't think. You should be encouraging him.

Comments

Yeah, YDI. Isn't that in the top ten rules of parenting or something? DON'T COMPARE YOUR KIDS!

I agree with everyone who said YDI. Seriously, it doesn't help to compare your child with other kids their age... it's really demotivating. I had that... with my parents saying "look, so-and-so got into this university...", and really, it doesn't meant shit to me. You have to let your child know that he needs to work the best he can, and if bad grades are the best he can manage, well, try and find a way of helping...

curlychick 0

i don't agree with those saying that he should not worry about grades until the kid gets older. you have to establish a habit early on. if the kid gets c's all through middle school, he won't magically start getting all a's when he starts high school. but anyway, comparing him to somebody else is still wrong. and you should never scold him for not getting all a's. that just puts too much pressure on him. sometimes that's just not possible. my mother was exactly like that when i was younger, and it completely ruined our relationship. and i'm smart, too. i got mostly a's, and the occasional b if the class was particularly challenging, like the ap classes i took. and she got onto me for not making all a's. it's ridiculous. so it's one thing if he's failing all his classes, but you should never expect complete perfection in every class. that's just ridiculous. but anyway, i'm so glad he burned you like that. you completely deserved it.

FaperPairy 0

Damn, the kid's not even in middle school! Give him a break and, as everyone else said, quit comparing him to his friends--or anyone else, for that matter. Also, telling a child they should "get straight A's because they're smart" never helps. :) I went through that for half of elementary school and all of high school, and guess where I am? A dropout going for a GED. He may be smart, but maybe school isn't for him. (A bit early to even say that, but hey, it's still a possibility.)

palmtrees 1

No one ever told you that encouraging/offering to help/talking about ways he can improve his grades in school is a much better way to get your son to get better grades than scolding him and comparing him to other children?

elfuzzo 0

There's a reason straight A's are above average. Not everyone gets them. Not everyone should get them. Stop comparing your kid to others and worry about his abilities on an objective basis.

how about you help your kid do his homework? by comparing your kid to others, you're going to make him feel like shit, and he'll probably grow up to be depressed. FHL, for having a shit dad. don't compare him or scold him, HELP HIM. ARE YOU RETARDED!?!? and lol @ what he threw back at you. he's right. and obviously smarter than you give him credit for.

Psychologically, you really screwed up on this one. Your son will (possibly) feel much more pressure, get (possibly) even worse and starts to hate others, who are getting better marks than he does. That's exactly why I got regularly beaten up in elementary school. Do him and others a favor and ask where his problems lie. Then actually help and support him, not tell him off.

ch_kisama 0

YDI for comparing him to a classmate of his. not only is that a dick move but it's gonna come back and bite you

#2: don't call anyone stupid until you learn how to spell you're