Grades go both ways

By tomandjerry - 21/05/2009 04:35 - United States

Today, I was scolding my 8 year-old son because he was getting bad grades in school. I told him that he should get straight "A"s like his friend Ceejay. He told me that comparing him to Ceejay was unfair. When I asked why, he said, "Because his dad is actually smart." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 915
You deserved it 66 542

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's no need to compare to the other kids in the class. What if the kids parents do everything for him? Tell your child to do what they can do, don't push them to be something more than what they are. YDI. And #2, scolding doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

You don't compare your kids to other kids. It's unfair and incredibly rude to your child. If he's not getting A's, maybe something else is up. Maybe CJ's dad actually helps his kid with his homework? And your kid's 8 years old. They don't even get letter grades yet I don't think. You should be encouraging him.

Comments

Wooohowhowhowwwwwww. What a dick move on the dad's part. Teach your kid to try his hardest at everything he does, and even if he doesn't match up against others it doesn't matter. Maybe CJ is naturally gifted ... I work my ass off at university and get 75s, my friend does far less (like she spent 3 hours [2-5am] on a paper that I spent the whole weekend on, and I got low 70s and she got an 86) of the work and has an overall average of over 90. So to sum it up: **** off, dad.

wow isnt that ironic. so its okay for you to degrade him by comparing him to someone else but not okay for him to own your ass? you deserved it and much more, thats horrible parenting and i feel sorry for your kid.

Koriss87 0

Sooooooooooooo, uuuuhhhhh. Would you like it if your wife, or girlfriend said “hey honey why can’t you be like my old Boyfriend? HE got ALL A’s in bed.” I have a STRONG feeling that would make you feel like shit. THAT’S what your doing to you kid. Funny thing is though, he sure is smart enough to tell you off.

Boohoo, so your kid got like... one B and maybe a C. I don't see why you're making it a big deal. He doesn't HAVE to get straight A's. Yes, it's nice, but he's going to end up being one of those annoying students who get a B+ or an A-. Comparing him to another kid is also a really stupid thing to do. YDI for making your kid feel like he's not good enough.

your are a terrible and obviously that kids dad helps him with his school work in a way you cant.

Lol, he's got a smart mouth. YDI for not taking the time to help him out like ceejays dad.

shortandloud 0

don't EVER compare your kid to someone else- it's pretty much the worst thing you could ever do. Find a better reason why he should get better grades- and then actually HELP him do it.

You are an incredibly terrible parent for comparing your don to other kids. YFDI.

xiloveyoux3 0

#2, having a bit trouble reading? And you shouldn't compare what others kids do, to your own. Everyone is different and learn differently, so maybe you should try to understand him a bit more and what he needs help on.