Grades go both ways

By tomandjerry - 21/05/2009 04:35 - United States

Today, I was scolding my 8 year-old son because he was getting bad grades in school. I told him that he should get straight "A"s like his friend Ceejay. He told me that comparing him to Ceejay was unfair. When I asked why, he said, "Because his dad is actually smart." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 915
You deserved it 66 540

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's no need to compare to the other kids in the class. What if the kids parents do everything for him? Tell your child to do what they can do, don't push them to be something more than what they are. YDI. And #2, scolding doesn't necessarily mean hitting.

You don't compare your kids to other kids. It's unfair and incredibly rude to your child. If he's not getting A's, maybe something else is up. Maybe CJ's dad actually helps his kid with his homework? And your kid's 8 years old. They don't even get letter grades yet I don't think. You should be encouraging him.

Comments

TryToBeKind 0

While comparing one kid to another isn't nice, I don't really see why psychiatrists etc have such a stick up their ass about it. Don't like being compared to someone else and told they're better? Work harder then, problem solved. While you sort of deserved it, your kid has a smart mouth and he would do well to learn how to speak appropriately to adults, maybe he can do that while you take away his video games, baseball practice, play dates and the like. Hey, he can catch up on school work while he's at it.

I wonder how much time Ceejay's dad spends on FML...

Hey great dad - sucks to be you when your own short-comings are used against by your own flesh and blood.....

He's 8 years old. It's too late. If he's failing school now, give up on him and focus on your other children if you have any.

hahayou12345 0

Oh my god, you sound exactly like my father... and if you keep it up, your children are gonna hate you forever, and all they are gonna remember of you is how you got mad at them because anything they ever did was never good enough. As long as your kid is trying his best, that's all that matters. YDI, times a billion.

Why do some parents act like getting straight A's is the easiest thing in the world?

Julle_fml 0

I agree with the most people in here: Don't compare your kid to others like that.

I agree with what mst people already said... However: How do y'all know that Ceejay's name is not really spelled Ceejay?! After all there's Ashleys, Ashleighs, Ashlies and who knows what else...out there...so why can't there be a CJ whose name is actually spelled Ceejay?! :D

What parent who loves their kids gives a shit about what grades they get as long as they try and are passing?! And what son of a bitch compares his kid to someone else. You prick. You're a shit parent and should have never been allowed to breed.