Dutch courage

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my boyfriend was going to propose. Since he was really nervous, he decided to have a couple of drinks to loosen up. He ended up throwing up and passing out before he could get down on one knee. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 812
You deserved it 5 010

Top comments

how did you know he was going to propose if he didn't get around to it...

nammz 0

so...did you say yes or no?

Comments

i don't see how being extremely nervous makes him a "tard" ... and maybe he told her before he passed out what his intentions were.

how is he a keeper if he need to drink to propose??? if you know the woman is the right one it should not be hard at all.... not saying that hes a bum... well hehe... unlucky though. but your life isnt ******.. those poor bastards getting killed in wars and famine around the world are the real FML.. they write their FML in Hell... or heaven... or nowhere.. depends how u look at it. All of that for the lust of power of a few *******.. enuf rambling.. Peace

Wow I feel bad for your boyfriend, no lie I could totally see myself doing the same thing. To all the people on here who said not to marry this guy because of one bad night shut up and get a life. For girls it's this amazing moment but for guys its the most scariest thing in your life.

Sounds to me like your boyfriend can't handle his drinks, can't handle life, or possibly both - or is waaay too young to be getting married. It's not for me to say dump him, but if the best he can do when stressed about proposing is to drink a few too many and pass out, then how is he going to handle problems between you two; or kids; buying a house; problems at work; or car breaking down while driving to a vacation; etc? I think the whole decision of: "I'm stressing about this problem, so I'll drink some alcohol to help" is just childish in the first place. Then to let it go too far shows a real lack of control and/or understanding. Maybe this is not FYL yet, but it sounds like it will be if you marry him before he grows up - quite a bit.

I don't know... I think it would be almost cute in a way if my fiance did that when he proposed to me... At least he had good intentions. He's just nervous. It's a HUGE thing to decide to spend the rest of your life with someone. Sure, alcohol isn't a solution, but that was the only thing he could think of at the time to calm his nerves. He just can't hold his drinks... lol I would've helped my fiance up and took care of him... he's spent a few nights taking care of me while I was stupid drunk and puking...

Maybe he wasnt really ready to propose, if he was that nervous?

bollywood_rocks 0

Wait,how did you know he was going to propose if he HASN'T proposed? Maybe the FML here is the fact that you're a nosy biatch because you wouldn't have known unless you snooped or maybe you've been haranguing the poor guy to propose and he wasn't quite ready so he drank up to do what he wouldn't do sober?

wowfmlife 0

#56- its called "popping the question" for a reason. Its supposed to be unexpected and spontaneous at the moment. The girl may know its coming but she shouldn't know the actual day