By sarcasticjane - 04/12/2015 18:17 - United States - Minot

Today, even though I've been studying and working with children and adolescents for the last 14 years, I've come to find that their parents' behavior tends to be worse than their children's. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 040
You deserved it 1 662

sarcasticjane tells us more.

sarcasticjane 27

OP here. Thank you all for your comments and stories. They definitely made my day. I am in the psychology field. When I first started in the field, parents were more apt to work WITH their children and change behaviors in the home. It was not something that took 14 years to realize as much as it's amazing how in just 14 years the parents have changed into the "fix my child" and don't want to work on their part of the issues. Not all parents; I still have a few good ones in the group, but that day was back to back parents. Thank you all again.

Top comments

Mathalamus 24

Not surprising. At all. The little ones tend to be nicer or better behaved than the adults.

It's a shame they ended up as curdled milk rather than the fine wine all those cards talk about!

Comments

You must be a manager. I hear it all the time from them, that adults act like children.

Heh, well I'm sure other people can have that same perception. OP, the saying that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" seems to often prove true, even in a less than fortunate manner. I'm sorry if you have to deal with such frustrations, especially long-term.

It's a shame they ended up as curdled milk rather than the fine wine all those cards talk about!

Mathalamus 24

Not surprising. At all. The little ones tend to be nicer or better behaved than the adults.

the problem with crappy adults is that they don't tend to have a reason to be better. unlike children, adults feel they are adults and rules and morals no longer apply. and there's not a step above adult to put them in their place in the working world. I find however if you bring their mom into the room they're suddenly well manored do-gooders

I teach high school and even they're better than their parents.

Mathalamus 24

Even I am not immune to that. I think that rules and morals are there to keep you from being really nasty. Or out of jail. There's not much reason to be nice in this world. There's little reward for it, and it is terribly expensive to keep up, mentally. It's like you do your job, only with very little or no money. Few people can actually pull it off.

Someone should teach these adults a lesson

olpally 32

This is nothing new to me. I see it all working in retail. Some adults never grow up.

Right? I figured that out in my first year. OP must be more optimistic than I am. Im curious to know what sparked this revelation, though.

dman798 18

It's hard to tell who is really the child now these days

justcommenting19 19

Yeah I worked at a school for quite a while. You realize how much goes out at home when kids come to confide.

Thats too bad. Hopefully they are bearable to deal with and their children kind and respectful to you.

The apple doesn't fall far from the rotten tree