Bootlickers

By Starving Student - 17/05/2012 03:42 - United States - Tacoma

Today, I got a ticket for panhandling to get gas money so that I could both drive out to a job interview AND still have enough gas to pick up my dad. Apparently, these particular cops had nothing better to do than harass me for standing quietly next to a freeway entrance with a silly sign. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 224
You deserved it 29 065

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jerseyboy732 16

I'm with the cops, I hate panhandlers

avclovewsh 8

If you have the money to pay a cell phone or Internet bill to post this then you should have enough money to pay for your own gas .... We are all in the same situation and can not spare to give you our hard earned money .. Take a bus and figure it out with out begging or money ..

Comments

suzzyd 2

why is everyone jumping to conclusions about this man and being so mean. he im sure did not feel like he was a great person for asking strangers for money. i bet he felt like scum and you people telling him that he is, is no better. there is also such thing as a library that can be used for internet as well. Why does everyone have to be so hurtful.

FajitaFreak 3

How can you people be so damn heartless? He was panhandling for gas to go to an INTERVIEW. Not to buy booze. Most of you people insulting him are probably a paycheck or two away from being in exactly the same situation as he is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for money when you need it. I was in that position at one point in my life and it's not the best place to be, but people have to eat.

Kurochrome 17

100 - You comments on this FML are great You are a great person

pinkpixie06 11

So, will you have to panhandle to pay your ticket?

And why would you be by a freeway entrance? People go faster there then at a red light. Your just not that smart...

bigcountry243 3

That's what's wrong with this country today, everyone wants a handout . I was taught that if I didn't work for it then I don't deserve it . Hey , try this concept if you need gas money why don't you try working for it instead of being a leech on society

He needed the gas to drive out to a JOB INTERVIEW. He is trying to work for it. Funnily enough, getting a job these days is not as easy as snapping your fingers. Pick on people who aren't even trying to get jobs, leave OP alone.

“Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don’t I strap on my job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on little jobbies?!” ~Charlie Kelly; From “The Gang Sells Out” (Season 3) Seriously though, OP. I hope you were able to get some dough and make the magic happen. I'd have gladly stepped up and generously donated. Sometimes we all just need that help.

124 -the point is OP shouldn't be out begging people for money. IT'S WRONG! Ask a family member or some bullshit. HOMELESS people stand out with a sign and my heart aches for them, the fact that a student who really could figure out a way to get money without begging irritates me. I'm a starving student as well, I'm not out holding a sign for money. To much dignity

..."To much dignity"... ..."To much dignity"... ..."To much dignity"... God, looking at your picture just made my ironimeter go off the charts.

bigcountry243 3

No he's not , he's begging for it .There are other ways of doing things . He could go ask a neighbor if he could mow their grass for $20 , anything other than breaking the law . It can't be justified... Everyone's that's taking up for this kids not helping him .

Wow, the police actually gave this guy a ticket for begging.... what a world. I lived in the middle of Los Angeles for a long time a still visit the area every few months for family and see some of the same beggars begging for money over the same freeway overpasses to this day. I seriously doubt they get tickets as the local police know them as career panhandlers, but i guess they give them out to newbies as incentive to do better or find another spot. Sorry OP. To all you people calling the man a leech and what not, know this... it could happen to you.

People that ACT like they are homeless and beg for for money when i barley have enough as it is to get by myself bug the shit out of me. Aka, people like yoooou! I feel bad for homeless people and my heart aches for them, so when your faking it, it sort of pisses me off. You deserved that one. It's why people like you I second guess giving out my last dollar to.

What makes you think he was faking anything? How do you know he wasn't telling people what he needed money for? Its not like he was spending it on vodka.

121 - Note the name "starving student". Perhaps OP is in the same boat as you. Don't be an ass.

I saw the "starving student", yes same boat as me...but uh don't see me standing out holding a sign begging for money. That's bullshit, op deserved what came to them. I for one have to much dignity to beg for money without even attempting to work for it first! Think about it... Not being an ass, being brutely blunt; that's how I am. Get over it.

@ #129 "Not being an ass" Yes, you are being an ass.

131 - I'm being blunt. It is a FACT, begging for money is AGAINST the law! I could have said much worse if I wanted to "be an ass". If that's what you think well then I don't really care, lol. A student shouldn't be outside holding a sign to beg for money. That simple. Get the **** over it. This is my opinion and obviously the laws opinion, I can post what I please. Thanks!:)

You are being an ass, and apparently can't take criticism. Welcome to the internet where people have no fear of calling you out on your petty shit. What exactly makes you think OP ISN'T trying to work for the money? What makes you think OP hasn't been trying for months to work for the money? So let's take you personally now. If you're working your ass off and you can't even get a penny for your work, what are you going to do? Next logical step is to see where you can get with friends or family. If that doesn't work, then in extreme cases you'd go to other people. This guy HAS an interview so they're obviously doing SOMETHING about their problem. All you're doing is whining on an FML forum about how this guy's panhandling to get to an interview that you probably don't even have. I bet you there's plenty of shit you do that you shouldn't be doing. Yet you're still doing it. Hmmm...

How is it being an ass to say you'd never break the law? Doesn't it make you a good person to not want to disrupt the social order? She just has standards for her behavior, what is there to criticize about that? The fact is that situations like the OP's can be handled with simple planning. Before I got my job, I too was running low on cash and didn't quite have enough money to get gas to drive to the interview. I was desperate, but I didn't break the law. I skipped a couple of meals and saved the money I would've spent on food for gasoline instead. I personally sacrificed instead of asking for others to sacrifice what they own. Face facts, if OP wasn't properly planning just for an interview, he wouldn't have demonstrated enough responsibility to keep this job anyway.

lalalanono 8

I think we all just read that panhandling is no longer a last resort. 5 years ago, on Christmas Eve (I shit you not), there was a man sleeping on the street corner, at 11pm, in the snow, with a sign asking for food. We stopped and gave him food (from the nearby Wienerschnitzel) and a little cash and he cried, put his shit in his grocery kart and walked across the street to the motel for the night. At the end of the day, OP, gas money for an interview is NOT a last resort or emergency situation.

Maybe he should sell his iphone/ipod. Just sayin