By klutz - 15/12/2016 15:41 - United States - Woburn

Today, I broke my fifth bone in three years. While I'd like say that they've all been scary, athletic injuries, most have been from attempting to do things as mundane as walking. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 558
You deserved it 871

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Osteogenesis Imperfecta, also known as brittle bone disease. A lot of people have it and don't know it. I've knowing since I was 4. I've had over 22 broken bones not including fingers or toes.

I broke a bone while sitting inside a parked car. Even had my seat belt on. Wouldn't get myself worked up over breaking a bone while walking. Much more easily explainable and feasible while walking.

Comments

While that is a very intuitive and indubitable observation, the concept of a backstory seems to have ricocheted off your bonehead.

I would imagine based on the description of "mundane as walking" in the FML, there isn't exactly any story behind it (ie. walking into something). If there was, it would more likely than not be part of the FML. They were walking, and they broke a bone. That IS the backstory.

Time to start engineering train crashes to find your nemesis.

Heh, and I was going to ask if OP was into comic books.

I to once walked down the yellow brick road and prompted the lion to snap my femur using the scarecrows straw. All I can say is it is making it very difficult to tippity tap.

That isn't normal, we call those pathologic fractures and you should be worked up by a doctor if you haven't been already.

possibly you have a light form of osteogenesis imperfecta, maybe ask your doctor about it?

I don't know why you're being downvoted, this is actually a real thing, and it makes sense.

Indianboy9321 25

Big words scare people unfortunately

andsoitends 21

Real thing, my mom passed away from osteoporosis as her bones got too brittle. She'd cough and crack a rib or slip a disk in her spine. Definitely check with a doc OP.

Osteoporosis and osteogenesis imperfecta are two very different things.

Truth. Whenever I tell people I have it they always go with "Take osteoporosis meds" or "drink more milk."

I managed to fracture my Tibia while jogging in an attempt to get fit again. It ended with me not being able to walk without a splint for over a month. Apparently it wasn't the right time to get fit. My doctor immediately sent me for a bone density test, and it sounds like you need one too.

mariri9206 32

ooh, five broken bones in three years? that's rough. I've had several injuries myself over the years but, thankfully, no broken bones yet. I managed to dislocate my knee once by standing, though. Coming up on the seven year anniversary of that, actually - it happened on Christmas eve. Anyway, hope it heals fast and nicely, OP!

I'm currently in a cast due to tripping and fracturing my wrist while playing with my dog, so I definitely feel your pain OP! I agree with other commenters about have bone density checked though, that's a lot of breaks to experience in such a short period.

Taco The Dank 27

"I was born with glass bones and paper skin. Every morning I break my legs and every afternoon I break my arms. At night, I lie awake in agony until my heart attacks put me to sleep."

A friend had the same problem. He broke a leg twice in a year. Apparently he wasn't having enough sun for his type of skin (dark) so he was lacking vitamin D (it regulates the stuff needed in bones). But now in Australia he doesn't have this problem anymore :P I guess since you're in Massachusetts (not very sunny I imagine) it may apply to you too :)