You tried

By Anonymous - 10/06/2009 04:42 - United States

Today, I offered my seat to an elderly lady on the subway. She quietly refused. Minutes later on a sharp turn, she almost fell down on two people. As I was clearly the youngest in the disability seating section, everyone on the train turned and glared at me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 726
You deserved it 3 960

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't think you deserved this. I mean, she didn't want to sit down and you did offer up your seat. The other people around could have offered up their seat too.

That sucks, being glared at because someone else refused to accept your help. FYL

Comments

People are really too ageist against teenagers and young adults. There was nothing you could have done, so don't worry what other people think of you, you offered her a seat, it's her fault she didn't take it. And I don't know what subways some people are riding, but if there are no disabled people, and there's no available seats besides the seats for the disabled, people can sit there, but they have to get up if someone who needs the chair comes along.

Horde 8

Take into account that elder people often have joint problems, and find difficult and painful sitting down/standing up, so probably that's why she refused the OP. I'd say neither the op's nor the lady's fault. The rest, they can **** themselves

Hahaha, that sucks man! FYL! I hate how people always just assume that because you are young, you are being rude and selfish, when you and the poor old lady both know that you offered! Anyone else could have gotten up for her too, so F them!

Hahaha. This is nothing but funny. People glared at you? How tragic!

You did offer her a seat, you can't force her to take it and some people prefer to stand so there's nothing more you could have done. She might have stumbled on a sharp turn anyway even if she wasn't elderly, I have. I think it's ok to use the elderly/disabled seating on the bus if no one else needs it, provided you give it up if someone does. Some of the signs even say please vacate this seat if an elderly/disabled person needs it, not please leave this seat free at all times, it's understood other people use it. It's a shame people decide to judge. I was once out with my partner at the time on the way to one of his doctor's appointments, I ran to catch the bus while he walked behind and the driver said "he made you run for the bus?!" in a shocked tone implying the man should have been doing the work not the woman, till I explained my partner had asthma.

Ugh I hate when that happens. Now I just get up without asking and they can sit if they want.

Yeah eff everyone else. You offered the seat. She refused. Why didnt you glare back and say "did you effing offer her a seat?! I DIDN'T THINK SO"?

mohomonopoly 0

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!! except it was on a bus and it was an old man that muttered to himself. he fell on me/the 2 people next to me! they all glared at us. i mean, i had offered my seat!

that's when you yell really loudly: "MAIM, ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT MY SEAT NOW?!"

iLIAMMM 0

Hahahah. Woww. That's pretty lame. But at least you tried to be good and you offered her the seat. :D