You tried

By Anonymous - 10/06/2009 04:42 - United States

Today, I offered my seat to an elderly lady on the subway. She quietly refused. Minutes later on a sharp turn, she almost fell down on two people. As I was clearly the youngest in the disability seating section, everyone on the train turned and glared at me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 726
You deserved it 3 960

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't think you deserved this. I mean, she didn't want to sit down and you did offer up your seat. The other people around could have offered up their seat too.

That sucks, being glared at because someone else refused to accept your help. FYL

Comments

I'd have shrugged and said "Hey, don't look at me, I offered her my seat." Bunch of assumptive jerks. @5: Why? So that we can win some kind of award for arbitrary, useless protocols that do more harm than good? Hundreds of people over the course of a day (some of whom while not technically "disabled" may still be exhausted or sore or tired or sick) can't sit down so that we can somehow circumvent the rare event that someone's a big enough asshole that they aren't going to give their seat up to a disabled person? And if they're going to be that big a jerk, it's not like these little goofy rules about keeping perfectly usable seats open is going to stop them. There are... there are just SO MANY THINGS WRONG with this. It's not kindness or courtesy, it's good-intentioned stupidity masquerading as such so that we can all feed our collective martyr complexes and convince ourselves we're doing something good in the world when really we're making hundreds suffer in order to accomplish nothing.

I'm in my early twenties - I have a disability that prevents me from standing from long periods of time. I can't tell you how many times I've been accosted because of the restrictions my disability places on me. Its like people think you have to have a wheelchair or a cane, in order to need to use the elevator for one floor, or the handicapped bathroom stall

supposed to get up without asking...bwte u offered no 1 should stare at u.

rakhil11 7

lol # 26 made me laugh...not that I would ever say that, but still.... and I know!!! ageist people are the worst, it sucks!!! (well, I'm a teenager, just turned 13 today....but I've still had a few teenager comments by now....) they don't remember what they were like. it's not like they were all adults since they were born....

I hate when the person next to you on the bus gets up for an old person, cause then you have to get up too or you'll look like a douche.

dont worry about it, when are u ever going to see those people again, we live in a world that is obsessed with other people's opinion of us which is stupid

Well, you offered. I hate to admit it, but it's clearly her fault.

I hate people. I get super bad back spasms which make my legs fail under me, so sometimes have to grab those seats in order not to fall and maim myself, but i get some seriously dirty looks cos i am in my 20s, it's ******. For all those people know, you could have a disability of your own!

they can't glare at u, they didn't try to give up their seats so