You better shape up

By anonymous - 18/07/2012 04:02 - United States - Silverdale

Today, I auditioned for the role of Rizzo in a local production of Grease. The director told me I wasn't tough enough, and that my persona too sweet and childlike for the part. I asked if I should instead try out to play Sandy. He replied, "I was being nice. Honestly, you're ugly and can't act." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 082
You deserved it 4 730

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you seriously enjoy acting, don't let this completely discourage you. There's always a role for every persona, eventually. Keep working at it!

Did you inform him that he should audition for biggest jackass after? I sure hope so.

Comments

Llamacod 11

sorry, my phone sent my comment before I was ready. as I was saying, those models are totally beautiful with all the hard work that goes into makeup, but without it they are nowhere near as good looking. so... op should learn better makeup application techniques and get in shape(if not already) and try again

XxSuccubusxX 3

Don't let it get you down OP.And did this director happen to have to name of direcbastard or be the long lost brother of docbastard?

blink_kid 32

His loss. There was absolutely no reason for him to be such an ass.

He tried to let her down nicely at first, but she kept pushing. It sounds like he finally just told her the truth to get rid of her because she wouldn't let it go. Some people just won't take "no" for an answer.

Whatta ********!!!! Maybe though it was him you should try another audition

Let's make the questionable assumption OP has reported his words verbatim, even though that might have been his content but not his actual words. "You're ugly" - that's a good reason not to cast her as Sandy. It's not a reason she should give up on acting, so the advice saying "stick with it" makes sense. "You can't act" - if she wants to be an actor, being told this was far more useful than being told "your persona is too sweet". Advising her "stick with it" without also saying "you might want to get other honest opinions on whether you have any acting ability" is not helpful.

lelo007 11

I auditioned for a play once, it was for the supporting lady's part in "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying." I received the role of lead clarinetist in the orchestra. So my acting and singing wasn't the best, but I was able to take part in the production and enjoyed it thoroughly! See if you can't help out on set or something, and better luck next time!

NomNomCookie 6

Don't let one ignorant person stop you from acting.

maybe you should pick up crochet? then you sell it online and noone will know you're ugly!

If he made you feel like you can't act, there are plenty of professionals out there willing to give you lessons. The ugly comment, however, was entirely unnecessary. The director had no right to say that to you. Just remember that his unprofessional behavior will ruin the play and at some point you'll be glad you weren't in it. Everyone is beautiful. Never forget it.