Tony Soprano?

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Canada - York

Today, I asked my best friend if he would do me the honour of becoming my son's godfather. He replied, "Um, that's just rude. You know I'm an atheist." Huh? FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 661
You deserved it 8 712

Top comments

Technically he's right. A god parents "duty" is the religious guidance of the child should anything happen to the parents.

I'm sure Harry Potter received a lot of religious guidance from his godfather.

Comments

perdix 29

Give him the option of being your child's flyingSpaghettiMonsterFather. The best title I've heard for atheists is Brights. For someone who claims to be Bright, he seems quite petty.

Mmm. Flying spaghetti monster...*drools* ...I think I just foodgasmed.

Make him an offer he can't refuse.

I'm an atheist, and even I think he's stupid.

Just because your an atheist doesn't mean you cant be the godfather of a child -.-

unknown_user5566 26

Despite the fact that being a Godparent is usually affiliated with religion, he could have been nicer about it. Either find someone who will actually take the responsibility seriously, or explain to your buddy it doesn't *have* to be a religious thing. I am the Godmother of a beautiful little girl, and we don't take the religious aspect into it. It's more of an agreement that I will be there for her no matter what. Also... congrats on the baby!

Keliosan 6

I think people just needed a reason to be assholes about this. Everyone knows what he meant by godfather, except possibly his friend... I'm sure if his friend sincerely misunderstood it's been worked out. Also, OP's ignorance toward why his friend responded that way was probably due to the fact that a lot of people use godparent in a nonreligious way.

Sooo, no-godfather? Let the thumbing down to hell begin...

What does religion have to do with becoming a godfather?

unknown_user5566 26

I believe it's a tradition in the Catholic church.

Llamacod 11

well, once upon a time, there used to be this person that a child's parent would pick that would, in the event of tragedy of the parents, take said child and make sure that said child would go through the religious aspects like confirmation. This person the parent would pick was called a "godparent". A fully religious term originally very much like "marriage". In fact to have your child baptized in the Catholic religion(why you would originally have godparents) at least one of the godparents need to be Catholic(at least the diocese around where I am from)

YDI - either you weren't clear about what being a godparent means to you, or you wanted your atheist friend to make promises to a god he doesn't believe in.

unknown_user5566 26

It doesn't sound like his buddy really gave him the chance to explain what it means to him (OP) before getting offended. I also doubt OP would want to force religious beliefs on his atheist friend. The story ended with "huh?" which implies OP had no intent to make the role of Godfather a religious thing.

I have two great godparents. My family is religious, but religion has no ties to my and my godparents' relationship.

Why do so many people on here think a "GODparent" means you're the childs legal guardian if the parents die? The kid would go to the closest family, not the best friend, unless you state this legally. A godparent is someone who, at a christening ceremony, promises to care for your childs religious upbringing. I refused my sisters offer to be her sons godparent for exactly the same reason. I will happily become his guardian if something terrible happens to her though.

No, a godparent is the legal guardian should the parents die. Should my sister and her husband die, the custody of their son is given to the god parents. In this case that is the two close friends they had be his godparents. Custody wouldn't go to my parents or my older sister. It would go to the godparents.

Llamacod 11

only if you have LEGAL paperwork stating that is the case. Historically speaking, a godparent is a religious term.

Llamacod 11

A godparent is chosen by the parents of a newborn Catholic. Under Canon Law 872-874, there are specific requirements to qualify as a godparent. Only one godparent is required, but two are allowed if they are of the opposite sex. If there is only one, a Christian witness might be asked. A Christian witness needs to be a baptized Christian. The godparent needs to be a Catholic at least 16 years old who has had the sacraments of baptism, reconciliation, holy communion, and confirmation. They can’t be the baby’s mother or father. The godparents must not be bound by canonical penalty. They must have a desire to be a godparent and be willing to help teach the faith to the child if necessary. Regarding the first requirement that a godparent be Catholic, there is one exception. For a just cause, it is permitted to admit the Christian faithful of another Eastern non-Catholic Church to the function of a sponsor, but always at the same time with a Catholic sponsor.This means that a Ukrainian Catholic may have a Russian Orthodox godparent, provided that there is a good reason for it (family relationship) and he also has another Catholic godparent. Godparents must attend the baptism to say their commitment. They should have a close and supportive relationship with the family. They need to be a good Christian. According to Christian Initation, General Introduction, the official praenotanda of the Rite of Christian Initiation, the following guidelines apply to godparents: 10. A godparent has to be approved by the judgment of the parish priest (pastor) being qualified to carry out the proper liturgical functions. 10.1. Each candidate may have either a godmother or a godfather or both a godmother and a godfather. 10.2. Those designated must have the capability and intention of carrying out the responsibility of a godparent and be mature enough to do so. A person 16 years of age is presumed to have the requisite maturity, but the diocesan bishop may have stipulated another age or the parish priest (pastor) or the minister may decide that there is a legitimate reason for allowing an exception. 10.3. Those designated as godparents must have received the three sacraments of initiation, baptism, confirmation, and eucharist, and be living a life consistent with faith and with the responsibility of a godparent. 10.4. Those desginated as godprents must also be members of the Catholic Church and be canonically free to carry out this office. At the request of parents, a baptized and believing Christian not belonging to the Catholic Church may act as a Christian witness along with a Catholic godparent.

Thank goodness someone here has a brain and the sense to use it. I'm shocked by all the people who think legal guardian and godparent are one in the same. Unless it is in your will, those you appoint as godparents will not become the legal guardian of your children in the case of your death! And think of all of the people who have multiple children, all with different godparents. What, so if you die the state is going to split up all the kids and ship them off to their respective godparents? No people, that is NOT how it works! (and thank god for that)

I don't get it either. I'm also an atheist and if someone asked me that, I wouldn't get offended.