Tony Soprano?

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Canada - York

Today, I asked my best friend if he would do me the honour of becoming my son's godfather. He replied, "Um, that's just rude. You know I'm an atheist." Huh? FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 661
You deserved it 8 712

Top comments

Technically he's right. A god parents "duty" is the religious guidance of the child should anything happen to the parents.

I'm sure Harry Potter received a lot of religious guidance from his godfather.

Comments

holy_follower4 2

Originally, the term Godfather and Godmother was a titled given to one in the Catholic faith, meaning that if something were to happen to the parents of a child, the godfather would take over and guide them through the rest of their adolescent life. To Catholics who still practice the religious aspect of this, they take this very seriously in terms of the Godfather also being of Catholic heritage and beliefs. Because of the transition of the diversity in today's society, however, the title Godfather can be given to anyone in a more legally standing sense, often shown with connections to wills, and other forms of bucket list like situations where an individual feels they should be prepared for the worst.

Well, technically, those are religious terms, but I don't think it really matters nowadays...

While yes Godparenting has taken on some connotations in the last 50 years or so as also being a non religious thing it has it's background in religion and is still heavily tied into it. If you mean "I want you to be the legal guardian should my child need someone" then you need to preface it as such because just asking "will you be the godfather" is still primarily a religious thing. Yes the word has been swiped for nonreligious persuasion but ghey is still just gay misspelled.

Traditionally godparents were associated with Christianity. They were present at the baptism and took responsibility for the religious upbringing of the child. Now however, it has more to do with who will raise the child if something happens to the parents. But, a godparent is not a legal guardian. You have to set that up through a will for it to be legal.

Shadowlurker999 9

Traditionally Godmother and Godfather are roles created by the Church, specifically Catholicism. Nowadays it has turned into a more ceremonial role than anything, whereas in the past, it actually meant something.

I see what you mean.. Although one must admit godfather is a compound word, God being right there at the start.

The way he put it wasn't the nicest way but yeah. A godparent is supposed to gelp guide a child in their spirtual journey and support them. My parents asked a close family friend if she could be mine but she declined. Why? She said she was too old and wouldn't be alive long enough. She really is a lovely lady.

Astrobomb 21

do you know what a godparent is?

why the huh? an atheist would not want to take part in the religious ceremony to become a godfather... it's common sense this one.