By twinkletoes - 17/09/2012 06:32 - United States

Today, I went to get my nails done for the first time in a while. I don't like to go that much because two of my toes are connected, and I'm very self-conscious about it. The man painting my toes started laughing when he saw them and called all the other employees over to look. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 105
You deserved it 2 573

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Field_hockey 6

I agree with #1! They should show more respect!

As much as I would love to think that a complaint would get anything done, unfortunately it's not illegal to be a complete and total assface. If they work for a large chain of salons (I don't know of any, personally) then you might get them fired, but that's not as likely as it should be.

RacistPancake 6

33 - nobody said it was illegal. The reason you file a complaint is to get them fired or spoken to so it never happens again.

36 - The reason I brought up legality is because a legal issue is the only way to make sure your complaint gets the attention it deserves. This guy clearly deserves to lose his job for treating a paying customer like a sideshow attraction, but unfortunately for OP the employee's word generally is taken over the customer's, and a complaint likely wouldn't be taken seriously. You wouldn't believe how eager my boss is to think that a customer is just blowing everything out of proportion.

33, 36, 39, it is not illegal to be an assface. However, the Americans with disabilities act does make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of a disability. File a complaint on that level and see what results she gets.

perdix 29

I think everyone replying to #1 is missing the brilliant pun. It's a nail salon. "File" a complaint, get it? A good reply would be, "Yeah, I hope they get their asses nailed."

47, it's not really a disability, though. It's not like she can't walk because of those toes. Legally they can say what they did, but that doesn't mean op can't complain and at least get them fired. Although some people need more than that to learn their lesson

Most likely, this is a family owned company. Filing a complaint will probably be completely useless. Just don't go back there and spread the word that they are rude and that other people shouldn't go to that salon.

A lot of people have webbed feet. Most people do not, but it is only entertaining for about 5 minutes and then it is old news.

SApprentice 34

Agreed. There are people she should go to about this.

nancyschmancy 9

Perdix, not to be a pervert, but I was number 69 to thumb up your comment! I ROCK!

katiedoll6 7

Exactly it's not something to be ashamed of your unique so relish that xxxx

Just tell them you're genetically superior

Like Brucie from GTA 4? Gawd, I can hear him now... "HEY NB!...." I forgot all the shit he actually said. XD

Two of my toes are connected as well, that is from surgery however. I was born with 6 toes on my one foot. Don't feel bad about it. I once had a pedicure and the girl was confused how to put the cotton stuff between that one two. I found it hysterical.

imkool136 22

It's called Syndactyly. I have it in my hand. It's the webbing of digits. I had two fingers completely connected by muscle and finger nail and one webbed. I got it surgically fixed because of the fact I wouldn't be able to wear gloves. But it's nothing to be ashamed about. I always joke around saying I had it fixed because I used to swim in circles. But I actually got it fixed when I was 6 months old lol.

beccaishereyay 11

Just don't get your nails done? I hate to be the one to say it, but people can be assholes and there's nothing you can do about it. Either paint your own nails or don't take it personally when shit like that happens.

Whoa this comment was so much nicer a minute ago than that >.>

#3. Wow, your a bitch .No she should continue getting her nails done. OP you will find the right nail salon, some people are just assholes.

...How could someone NOT take it personally? What should be done is that OP should tell the bosses of any people who do that. People like that deserve to get fired.

mrnuleef 7

Wow cold blooded. OP shouldnt not be pampered because of some folks lack of professionality.

As unpopular as it may be, I agree with #3. You're embarrassed about your feet? Then don't get them painted by other people! The fact that you can't get pampered like a little princess doesn't squeeze much sympathy from me. Where I come from, it's not normal to throw money at people to file your nails and remove your toe jam. You may not deserve ridicule, but be ****** if you can't just do your own nails.

Nanael_fml 4

You are an idiot. That is completely unprofessional and uncalled for to laugh and call over other employes to look and laugh at a client/paying customer. She has every right in the world to get her nails done if she chooses without disrespect. She should report his actions to his boss. I'm betting the higher up will not approve of such behavior

The fact is in today's society not many people at all have the respect or professionalism as they used too. As unfortunate as it is that the OP was born with this you do need to develop thicker skin because people cannot hold there tongue or show enough respect to people anymore. No I'm not agreeing with what happened or saying it is correct but chances are most places you go you're likely to draw a not so favorable reaction so you need to learn although it isn't right and it is pathetic and disgusting with the way our generation is you need to learn to deal with it.

3 and 45 you're both giant idiots. "Where I come from it's not normal to get pampered" - where do you come from, Ethiopia? Also you're ignoring the fact that a professional hired to do a job laughed at his client and brought everyone else to join him. Of course, assuming this FML isn't a quote from the book "Shit that never happened".

desireev 17

That is utterly ridiculous for you to say that, #3. Think of how the world would be if anybody with a deformation or a disability just didn't do the things they want to avoid humiliation. Think of it! What if all those people avoided the public to avoid being picked at and embarrassed? That's, basically, telling the bullies that it's completely okay to treat people like shit! You are, seriously, cold hearted for saying that! I guess that my son should just stay inside the house all the time so he won't be made fun of for his disability or his IV and feeding tube, right?

beccaishereyay 11

Oh gosh calm down everyone. I'm entitled to my own opinion. I think it's awful that someone would make fun of her for that but really **** her life because she cant get her nails professionally done? Some people have real problems here. You guys need to chill out. I'm not a bitch or insensitive. I just think if you're gonna bitch about something it should be something worth bitching over.

Bitching about people making a show and humiliating you over something you can't control and are self conscious about is something worth bitching about. And I'm not being sarcastic.

soccergurrll 8

I didn't even know toes could be connected...

pavlovaaLOVE 7

Umm... Never heard of webbed toes ???!

OhDearBetrayal 25

It seems as though someone hasn't taken any basic anatomy classes.

Actually, apoptosis is the reason that most of us have separated fingers and toes. Syndactyly is the term for connected digits.

Yup I have connected toes so it is in fact possible.

mintcar 9

54, apoptosis is programmed cell death. You clearly have absolutely no idea what that word means.

EgyptianPride98 8

67- that was the term I was meaning to use, 122- I understand the concept of programmed cell death in that if apoptosis doesn't work it creates these connected toes, but I haven't done biology in a few years! Forgive me Internet, for I know not how to science.

Tell him to watch his toen towards you. No? okay then. A for effort lol.

pavlovaaLOVE 7

I'll give you a block of goat cheese for effort, but that's my final offer.

I see your goats cheese and raise you cat milk

RedPillSucks 31

I'll toss in some bulls milk and call both of you.

It... It was a nice try... Ok I lied you should delete your account as soon as possible and never come here again that was absolutely terrible!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Hey, I have a friend who has webbed feet! She doesn't let it bother her at all. Just be thankful you have feet and try not to let it bother you. (I'm not trying to say you shouldn't be hurt, because I understand why you are, but you should learn to accept yourself :) ).

pavlovaaLOVE 7

True, 6... But you gotta understand it still hurts if someone laughs at you for something you didn't particularly ask for

Hiimhaileypotter 52

25 - Read my post again. I said, "I'm not trying to say you shouldn't be hurt, because I understand why you are."

EgyptianPride98 8

That was uncalled for. I don't know whether you think that's funny, but I can assure you it's not. Take it from someone who knows.

elletex 8

Actually, it's hilarious. Lighten up.

142 - i have two conjoined toes and laughed. don't be butthurt.

Your friend should be the real Olympic Champion in swimming

What a douche, that's when you get the manager and get his ass fired.

Considering he was probably at her feet when he did that, she should have kicked him in the nose with her two in one toe!

You should have taken the opportunity to "flinch" your foot into his face. I'd imagine having your nails done includes close proximity of those two body parts.

cheshireau 26

I would of just kicked him in the face. Worry about the assault charge later.

What a fucken douche. I bet he has a deformed Penis......

Somehow I doubt that. He'd probably be a little more sensitive about deformity if he had something like that.

A man painting toenails, now THAT is something to laugh at.

pavlovaaLOVE 7

16- that's what the thumbs up button is for lol

patacus 14

im not sure why, but here at least 80% of people working in nail salons are asian (usually Vietnamese) men. its weird. (not that I go inside or anything, but walking by the ones in the mall, or even in walmart, that's all I see)

Tippi Hedren. Yes, the actress from _The Birds_ and _Marnie_. She toured a tent city of Vietnamese refugees and was moved by the plight of the refugees she met there. She had her manicurist teach the women how to do nails so they'd have a marketable skill and worked with a beauty school to get them into jobs.

SomeRussianGirl 3

Actually, I had a guy do my nails. He did a great job but he didn't wear gloves and kept feeling my feet and legs …