By badteacher - 24/10/2010 05:26 - United States

Today, while I was substitute teaching a middle school class, a boy, named Chris, refused to get in the boy's line for the bathroom. After I had said, "Chris, what makes you think you're a girl?" in a very loud voice, one of the other students said "She is a girl." I've scarred a child for life. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 849
You deserved it 52 648

Same thing different taste

Top comments

sccrismyantidrg 4

Lolz next FML "Today, I got fired from work for making a 5 year old sob uncontrollably"

Comments

wow! I had a teacher just like you elementary school! She actually pulled me into the boys line because I had short hair. I hated her guts since then...

Igor_g5 0

Maybe you should find these things out before you argue with kids about their gender. Most kids know if they're a boy or girl before they start school.

Thank you! Typically grown ups don't know how to treat children who don't look like their gender. It's sad, really. Shame on the OP for making that poor girl feel like shit for being a girl. On the other hand, as a substitute teacher, I once made a 7 yr old (1st grader) cry because I had been threatening to send bad children to the office and a phone call came for this particular child to go to the office because he was being picked up for early dismissal. I didn't watch my tone and told the kid "Hey, you have to go to the office." It wasn't until after he started crying I realized what I had done. I reassured him that he was fine, he wasn't in trouble and that I was sorry for making him think that he was. Moral of the story is: You don't know the context of the time in which the post happened. This could have been a horrible class and the sub just blurted out something as a mistake. If this is the case, I understand. Otherwise, this person is an asshole and I agree, shouldn't be stepping foot in a classroom.

sofakingweetoddi 0

OP, you're still calling her a boy?!?! Don't worry, she is not scarred for life. She probably knows there are closed minded idiots in this world. What made you think she was a boy? Did she have short hair? Did she have smaller breasts? Did she wear jeans? What was it? Was she good at math? YDI for being so closed minded!

Hopersz 0

OP thats was seriously messed up. How can u not know whether the child is a girl? Its not hard to tell and its your fault for not looking harder and realizing the childs gender. I would have reported your ass to LAUSD and taken it to the schools attention. Grow up

My main issues with this are: 1) why bathroom lines in middle school?(in my area grades 6-8, ages 11-13). 11 yr olds DO NOT need bathroom lines to know which bathroom to go in 2) Why a group bathroom break? Its not like they are little kids who need to be supervised going to the bathroom

Am I the only one shocked by what she said, not by the fact she thought Chris was a boy?? I understand she could have thought that. But saying "what makes you think you're a girl?" ?? And loudly? This could be very badly interpretated. If Chris HAD been a boy, but one who felt more comfortable as a girl, I'd say such a comment would be plain discrimination. Turns out Chris was a girl, so OP is just an ass. You don't do that in front of everybody. And why the hell do you put people in line for the bathroom??? Especially in middle school. In ALL my schools, if there was a dude in the girls' bathroom, you just had to give them the death stare, or state matter-of-factly that it was the women's bathroom.

VertigoSD 0

Maybe you shouldn't be around children.

SwtCherryPie 26

Umm this seems like more of an FML on the childs part if she wants to be recognized as a girl maybe she should dress and act like a girl and I would imagine Chris is short for Christine/Christina so maybe she shouldnt use a boys name for a nickname... And every single one of u commenters dogging the OP... I really dont see how no one can see that its the child's fault here

auto_da_fe 2

Because the girl has every right to dress as she wishes and every right to shorten her name as she wishes. I really can't see how YOU put the child at fault here. The whole point of the FML is that OP questioned the girl's gender so the whole class could hear, which is EXTREMELY rude especially if said girl is transgender.

Since you've indicated that you are female, I hope that you wear skirts every day to back up your brilliant statement.