By Gracie-Ann - 01/07/2013 06:38 - United States - Portland

Today, my fiancé paid a visit to my parents so he could ask my dad's permission to marry me. My dad responded with, "Why buy the cow when you can milk it for free?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 677
You deserved it 4 812

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ItsAnanya 25

Should've asked your mum ," why did you buy the pig if you could get the sausage for free?" Congratulations on the engagement though ^~^

perdix 29

#7, it was a barnyard reference. The dad was horsing around by being a pig. Hopefully, the OP ducked the question and won't chicken out on the proposal -- that'd be bull! See how that works? Now, you give it a try. . .

Comments

That's a great idea! MWAHAHAHAHA.. Home grown Milk business, it can turn into a family thing.

That saying is horrible, and it's even worse coming from a parent. To hell with him, you shouldn't be asking for his permission anyway. You're not property.

@39 A. We're talking about cows, so that high horse you're on is pointless. B. She didn't ask for permission, her fiancé did. C. Did you consider they want a pleasant relationship with her parents? One which eloping would not create? There is nothing wrong with tradition, it is not sexist at all. D. Haven't you ever heard of a joke? It is a form of humor, most people have a sense for it. And although they may not all have the same sense of humor, most can recognize when it is occurring, regardless of taste.

#59 A. That saying is not literally about cows. It's a disgusting, misogynistic metaphor. But I'm willing to bet you already know that, you're just being a smartass. B. By "you", I meant a collective "you". As in, regardless of who the one asking is, OP and her fiance should not need permission. C. Just because you don't go straight to the parent and ask for permission, it does not automatically mean you are eloping. Marriage is about the people getting married, it is their decision, and as long as they are both of age, they do not need permission. It absolutely IS sexist in origin, as are a lot of "traditions", it's just so ingrained in society by now that a lot of people think nothing of it. D. Yes, I have heard of a joke. And this may have been a joke, or maybe OP's father really is just an ass. I will conceded that I don't know the spirit in which the comment was intended, but unless you were there, neither do you. And joke or not, OP was obviously upset by it.

Your dad would make a good financial advisor.

WonkeyDonkey 10

Maybe he's hoping and praying deep down that you don't get married (dislikes him) and that's his way of trying to prevent it by turning him off it! :)

DropofSunshine_ 4

That's why you reply "Why buy the whole pig when all you get is a little sausage?"

Well your father sounds like a pleasant man to be around...

Because then no one else can milk it for free. The milk becomes special because it's yours and not only that, but the milker also becomes special to the cow.

Maybe he's planning on butchering and eating you.

Well in the end! He said yes! Congrats OP