For real though?

By Anonymous - 15/02/2017 08:00 - United States - Parkesburg

Today, my father was offered 85 sheep for my hand in marriage. We live in the USA, and he is literally contemplating the offer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 424
You deserved it 670

Same thing different taste

Top comments

alternative-facts 6

If he throws a few goats and pigs in, I'd say it's a good deal! But seriously, what state do you live in? And who is the intended bridegroom?

Nowhere does it say that OP is an adult.

Comments

alternative-facts 6

If he throws a few goats and pigs in, I'd say it's a good deal! But seriously, what state do you live in? And who is the intended bridegroom?

You should only be worried if your farther has room for the sheep. Also, 85 sheep can not be cheap. You must be real beautiful.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

As far as trades go for marriage sounds like a pretty hefty offer

I'm sure he is just kidding and making you sweat for all the times you've given him grief.

@OhPuhleeze: My experience with immigrants having a completely different cultural background tells me OP’s father is actually considering this offer. If a man makes an offer of 85 sheep he first has to be sure that it would be taken seriously or otherwise he wouldn’t make any offer. On the other hand, a father who already has accepted Western values would have kicked out such a man before he could be pretending to consider that offer.

@Ashamed_sister: As someone who is in India, I am very familiar with the concept of women being treated as property to be bought or sold. I do not have all the information like 1) Is the Op a minor, 2) Do they come from an ethnic background where women are traded as commodity, 3) if the father is actually seriously contemplating to sell his daughter. 4) If the Op has access to help- social workers, school, community leaders, police. I am also assuming that the Op has enough sense to use the Internet for help- mail/call Police/FBI/CPS if she is indeed in serious trouble and not just use the web to rant about it. I don't know what your problem is, maybe you've seen the issue much closely than others or if you simply have an attitude issue. I am just hoping for the best here and trying to keep things light without being disrespectful to anyone.

Ur a grown woman u don't need to do that, tell ur dad to **** off

Nowhere does it say that OP is an adult.

Eighty-five?!?!? Ewe must be pretty flocking hot!

Goblin182 26

Well, 85 sheep. Kind of hard to turn that down.

Counter offer 15 muskrat Hides, 2 broken traps... and unsinkable canoe

Either way it's sad to put a price on your daughter