By lurna301 - 17/07/2012 00:58 - United States - Glendale

Today, my boyfriend's mother introduced me as his "friend". We've been together for 10 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 741
You deserved it 3 266

Same thing different taste

Top comments

theslimshadylp 6

What a bitch. Introduce her as your boyfriends great grandmother.

Epsilonyx 15

10 years? And you're still his girlfriend? I think that may be the reason she referred to you as his friend. He either sucks at commitment or this is a very open relationship. Still a mean thing to do, of course.

Comments

If you've been living together for 10 years then you can't be much less than 30. "Boyfriend" and "girlfriend" have the sort of playground, teenage, childish ring to them that many older people are not comfortable using with mature adults. You are not a "girl" any more than she is. It could in fact be that she was not wanting to imply that you were a child and then couldn't immediately think of a better term. I would probably use "partner" rather than GF under those circumstances but again that's a fairly new term to people a generation older. It could be that she just became flustered and no ill was intended.

Um, does it really matter what she calls him? Besides it sounds more like the mother doesn't seem too fond of OP being with her son. FYL OP.

MyaaBayyBee 6

ok what do you want to be called "daughter-in-law"..... you might want to take off the gas mask all that asbestos is polluting your thought processing.....

it is really nice that your "boyfriends" mother refers to you in that manner, but at the same time she is trying to send you both a message to sign a piece of paper and make it official. You don't get any of the benefits of being together for 11years if something happens. If you decided to leave him and you have been paying all the bills for a few years and all the property is in his name then he gets to keep them and you are out of all that money and the possessions. I understand that there are reasons people don't get married, and some want HUGE weddings and are saving for them, but in the meantime learn to protect yourself. My fiance and i plan to get married by a justice of the peace then have parties for both families to come to in our respective states since we have elderly grandparents who have a hard time getting around and friends and family who would not be able to make it to a wedding due to financial restrictions.

Also, my fiances mother referred to me as his "friend" several times to some friends and family members at a few parties we attended and my grandmother use to ask me all time how my "friend" was doing meaning my fiance before I got a ring.

obviousboy 8

Holy shit boyfriend for 10 years. At that point, there's rarely marriage in the future. :P

Jackasss_fml 14

Well get married you moron. If you could not make up your mind whether to marry him after being together for ******* 10 years, then I think you are better off being just friends. YDI !!

Bonzer 2

Your name fits well with your comment. Add "ignorant" to the beginning and it becomes perfect.

perdix 29

How are we so sure that the mom's assessment of the relationship isn't more correct than the OP's? Maybe the OP is what the boyfriend hangs onto until something better comes along. The ten years just shows how ineffective his search has been.

she was not being disrespectful. just the opposite. she was being discrete. everyone she introduced you to knew what she meant by friend. it's a common term in this situation.

mal2012 4

All yall sound crazy... Older ppl and MATURE ppl will say Friend alot of times. Gf n bf is something our young generation says... Op will figure it out.

sweetmama88 6

I have a funny feeling that he could be hiding something , and question him why didn't he say correct himself.