By Anonymous - 14/06/2010 23:39 - United States

Today, my boss told me I was fired 3 weeks ago because there was no money to pay me, meaning that I worked the last three weeks for free. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 359
You deserved it 3 053

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Belief_fml 0

How is that not illegal? The boss thing I mean.

There was no money to pay you? Umm...Darling, I don't see that business lasting much longer.... So sorry all this bad luck piled up on you in one day.

Comments

boyguydudemalema 0

indians smells like shit. w

Nuh, shot smell like Indians.... being racist ftw!

Wooble 0

Well do what every american does : Lawyer them ass

RustyCurls 0

OP deserves for not knowing the laws! Your employer is required to pay you for work performed. You cannot be fired in the past like that. Termination requires notification. It isn't illegal to occupy a residence without a lease, but it's a bad idea. Regardless, the landlord is required to give you 30 days notice, lease or no lease. It's the law. So talk to both. If they don't correct things, go to the Department of Labor for the job and the if the landlord tries to remove you before 30 days, call law enforcement.

letitbe56 0

The job thing sucks, but how did you not see your apartment thing coming? I mean, you signed the lease; you should know when it expires...

Month to month "leases" usually start when the real lease expires, and sometimes people don't sign leases and start on a month to month right off the bat.

tgis definitely isnt legal. you ate avsolutly not allowed to work for free and if your boss actually said that he wouldnt pay you fo work already performed then you got a rock solid case. this isn't an FML at all. it seems to me that you just won the lottery. Hello easy settlement!

Who cares how good the case is, if the employer doesn't have any money, you're not going to get any from a lawsuit. You'll go through all that trouble and cost of hiring a lawyer (who will probably not want to take the case in the first place considering the lack of solvency) and only have a legal bill and a judgment against the employer that will never get paid through. "It isn't illegal to occupy a residence without a lease, but it's a bad idea. Regardless, the landlord is required to give you 30 days notice, lease or no lease. It's the law." No it's not. Depends on the state and depends on what's in your lease. If you had a lease up to this point and the landlord acknowledged that you were still there, you've become a hold-over tenant, which basically gives you a month-to-month lease, as long as you're paying rent. If you paid rent already for this month, you have a case to stay for the rest of it, but if you haven't and it's a new month, you're likely out of there legitimately.

letitbe56 0

I think #42 was referring to squatters rights. I could be wrong, though.

So get his ass throw in jail! He just scammed weeks of work out of the op he should pay even if op gets nothin out of it! Don't let the deuche think he can get away with that!

camilynn 0

by law you have to be paid for those 3 weeks since you did work and the landlord is required to give you 30 days to vacate not 2 weeks. You could definitely sue.

OP, thank you for posting an actual fml. I don't have much to say besides "I'm truly sorry that happened to you" 4 nice critical eye.