Thanks, I hate this

By duCOQUELICOT - 13/06/2016 19:29 - Netherlands - Amsterdam

Today, after being told two weeks ago that my contract would be renewed, my boss managed to tell me that actually he had other applicants for the job. I will be let go, but he offered me two months extra so I could finish the projects he had me working on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 848
You deserved it 738

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well at least now you have a couple months to work, earn money and have time to look for another job before you're let go.

That really sucks, but as a contract employee, you'll always be shafted. Take the offer and look for a new job right away. It's employment and technically you wouldn't be in a contract working for 2 months, allowing you to leave anytime you'd like.

Comments

Well at least now you have a couple months to work, earn money and have time to look for another job before you're let go.

Could have been worse OP, could have not been told until it was time to be let go. Then no time to find a new job. Plus, perhaps you can use them as a reference. Most likely you're being let go because they pay you more than a newcomer. Sucks, but it happens a lot.

Why didn't you're boss tell the truth about letting you go? This requires a visit to HR.

ashyash90 8

It's clearly a contact or temporary positron so as long as the original contract has run is course, HR isn't going to care. A boss can say or insinuate your going to stay on longer or be kept permanent but if you're temp, it isn't legit until paperwork is signed saying so. So op should have never banked on it (but remained optimistic)

That really sucks, but as a contract employee, you'll always be shafted. Take the offer and look for a new job right away. It's employment and technically you wouldn't be in a contract working for 2 months, allowing you to leave anytime you'd like.

The danger w/ leaving early for a new job (most likely then pissing him off) is to risk getting a bad reference from this boss in the future for other jobs. :-(

I don't think that's how a contract works

I was going to say "tell him to stick it", but decided that you really should accept. It's always easier to get a job when you have a job. If you get a job quickly you can leave then.

Finish the work in 1 month, but don't submit it. A couple days before your last day, submit it and let your boss know you finished it a month ago and you're really that good. Bit foolish to let an efficient and useful person like that go, innit.

And THAT is why I avoid contract gigs like the plague... Also, FYL, sorry OP.

sohigh10 34

It's practically standard procedure in the Netherlands nowadays to give out three temporary contracts and then fire the employee so they don't have to give them a permanent position. Very few people get to pick and choose the type of contract they get, permanent position hiring is very rare.

It aucks, but at least you're getting plenty of advance notice, right? Cut back on extra spending and start sending out your resume!