By JP - 18/06/2009 16:11 - Italy

Today, I went to the bank to make a withdrawal in order to celebrate my last day here in Italy with my friends. Apparently I'm overdrawn by 187 dollars so I'm eating nothing but leftover stale crackers to survive until I get free plane food on my way back home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 014
You deserved it 47 986

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Leftover stale crackers to *survive*? Oh, honey--are you sure you'll make it? Maybe you should call the embassy.

unlucky91 0

If your friends were good.. they would pay for your last meal in Italy.

Comments

amykay 0

Oh you poor thing! I my am living off ramen noodles rice and, and I am in Indiana, in the rain, working all day! You are so lucky to be on a trip like that! Your in Italy enjoy every last minuet of it. Money or no money! I have been in situations similar but appreciate what you have.

are you on a choir trip? haha kids from my school went to italy and they are on their last day too :P

To anyone calling this person irresponible or careless...I have a feeling you may haven't done much traveling. At least not to a foreign country, while using mainly your debit/credit card for your checking account. Banks tack on a "conversion" fee for withdrawel (and I think maybe purchases as well) made in foreign currencies. This is in addition to any other charges they decide to tack on for their own amusement and greed, such as using a ATM that's not their own. And in addition to this, the charges to your account may not show up immediately on your online banking when in a foreign country. This includes your purchases, withdrawals and most importantly the rather unpredictable fees, which can be up to about $5. So even if you are one of those "I write ever purchase I make down in my checkbook" type of people, who aren't as common as they used to be (I'm not one), you could still make big error, and end up overdrawn by a few dollars, and then get charged all the overdraft fees...which often keep getting charged until you get your account back in the green. I understand where she's coming from...same thing happened to me on a 3 month trip to Peru a couple of years ago. I sympathize completely. Next time you might want to make sure there's some insurance money in another account that you can transfer over in an emergency. Or at least a compassionate parent or trusted friend who has access to the account and can dump some money in need be. :)

It is still the cardholders responsibillity to be aware of those fees, which are usually posted and on any credit card statement. Even someone makes a mistake in his or her register, it is usually small and not 187 dollars. It is really just dumb not to balance your checkbook, it takes about five seconds and saves a lot of money in overdraft fees.

Well... it seems you've spent a lot of money - unless you didn't come with much - so hopefully you've already had a lot of fun. I might feel sorry for you if you weren't so melodramatic.

I moderated this one! U should hve been smarter with ur money but I'm sympathetic FYL

Just in case any1 doesn't know, Europe KILLS financially.

bruinfan2010 0

first off, YDI second, wouldn't your friends loan you some?

panda_rectum 0

Weird. 187 is my house number, and also the police code for homicide. Possible foreshadowing...?

dg72592_fml 0

your friends won't spot you? that suckkksss i've been in that situation its so annoying.